    thanks,
    drew

    , Apr 10, 2006

  2. Mike Guest

    You could always create two multiple web applications that run under a
    single domain...
    http://www.mydomain.com/app1
    http://www.mydomain.com/app2
    which can then link to each other.

    Otherwise, if you want a single application where parts are developed
    as separate projects, then you need a portal framework. You need to
    load assemblies containing modules at run time, and load them into a
    page. There are numerous open source and commerical portal frameworks
    on the market. Each lets you create a custom "module" that defines a
    related set of functionality. Then has some way of letting you create
    pages dynamically and placing your peices of functionality on those
    pages. A portal typically has one physical page on your server,
    default.aspx. This page contains a control or some kind of helper that
    processes the current request and places the requested content on the
    page.

    here are a couple of products:
    DotNetNuke - the most populate open source option. It is really
    popular for hobby / personal sites. but it is also used in business.
    http://www.dotnetnuke.com/. Pages Urls look like this:
    http://www.dotnetnuke.com/about/trainingvideos/tabid/810/default.aspx

    Rainbow Portal - An alternative to DNN, but functions very similarly.
    http://www.rainbowportal.net/

    Both DNN and Rainbow are based on Microsoft's IBuySpy.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdasampibsport.asp
    example:
    http://www.asp.net/IBS_Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

    XQuiSoft - A commercial framework in in beta. My site runs on this
    framework. The urls look like this (which are more friendly than DNN):
    http://www.xquisoft.com/products/portal/overview.aspx
    http://www.xquisoft.com/products/xogen/overview.aspx

    CMS400.Net - Another commerical framework. http://www.ektron.com/

    Kentico - http://www.kentico.com/

    See each products site for full product details.

    Michael Lang
    XQuiSoft LLC
    http://www.xquisoft.com/

    Mike, Apr 10, 2006