Refering to <asp:> webcontrols

henk

Hey,

Question, how can i create client-side javascript that refers to a asp.net
webcontrol. For example set the focus of a textbox lik this.

<asp: TextBox ID="Textbox1" />

(client side)
<script javascript>
Textbox1.focus();
</script>

this wont't work, couse the webcontrol textbox1 has a diferent ID in the
actualy create HTML output. How can i solve this problem..

Thanks.

Henk

Ray Booysen

henk said:
Hey,

Question, how can i create client-side javascript that refers to a
asp.net webcontrol. For example set the focus of a textbox lik this.

<asp: TextBox ID="Textbox1" />

(client side)
<script javascript>
Textbox1.focus();
</script>

this wont't work, couse the webcontrol textbox1 has a diferent ID in the
actualy create HTML output. How can i solve this problem..

Thanks.

Henk
You can generate the javascript server side:

"<script type='text/javascript'>" + Textbox1.ClientID +
".focus();</script>";

Dmitry Nechipor. [MCDBA]

Try this one:

document.getElementById("<%=TextBox1.ClientID%>").focus();

msnews

What I have done is insert some Javascript to set the value for the ID of
the control. I start with this static Javascript.

var controlId;

function setControlId(id)
{
controlId = id;
}

Then I use Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock to add this code...

string script = "setControlId('" + textbox1.ClientId + "');";

You can then have the client script wrapped automatically with the script
tags when it is registered. Then you just use the value for the controlId
in the rest of your Javascript.

Brennan Stehling
http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/