reflow

Roedy Green

Gui elements will reflow text breaking into fixed length lines, but is
there anything that will do that on a string and return a string?

Will anything do hyphenation?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
~ Charles Darwin.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
Gui elements will reflow text breaking into fixed length lines, but is
there anything that will do that on a string and return a string?

I am not aware of anything builtin.

But it is not that hard to code.

Arne

Arved Sandstrom

Tom said:
fmt won't, and i don't know anything that will, although something must
exist. i bet TeX does.

tom
The latter is not the worst suggestion in the world :)-)), seeing as how
TeX is good at hyphenation. To get that capability in Java, one
possibility might be http://www.davidashen.net/texhyphj.html, by David
Tolpin (he used to work on XEP, which is one of the better XSLFO engines
available, so he knows his stuff).

AHS