reformatting in visual studio 2005

sck10

Hello,

I am trying to find the option VS2K5 that will automatically change

HtmlMeta hm=new HtmlMeta(); or HtmlMeta hm = new HtmlMeta();

to HtmlMeta hm = new HtmlMeta();

What I would like to do is have extra spaces taken out or added in where
appropriate. I can do this in vb, but am having problems with c#.

Thanks, sck10

sck10

Hi Steve,

I looked in the option section, but I still can't get it to work. what I
would like is for c# to auto-reformat automatically the same way that vb
does. For example, if I type the following the following: int
AddrFrom=1+2+3

in VB will automatically reformat to: string AddrFrom = 1 + 2 + 3

Maybe it has something to do with "Pretty listing (reformatting) of code" in
vb, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have selected "insert space before and after binary operators" for
c#, but this doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks again, sck10

Mark Rae

Please don't attach binaries - this is a text-only newsgroup.

Most people's newsreaders simply strip these off anyway - mine certainly
does...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks you for the advice Mark,

I'll take care next time.

BTW, is small zip package ok for most newsreader?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Mark Rae

BTW, is small zip package ok for most newsreader?

A text-only newsgroup is a text-only newsgroup - that's what "text-only"
means...

My newsreader is set to remove any binary attachment.

Juan T. Llibre

Steven,

For as long as I can remember ( and that's a long time ) it's been OK
to send small binaries ( whether zip or images ) to these newsgroups.

The reason for that is that there's no dedicated binaries newsgroups on this news server.

People frown when large binaries are sent ( or when images are sent as bmp,
instead of gif/jpg, for example ) but small binaries are often the best way
to present an easily understood concept.

I wouldn't worry at all about sending small binaries to help explain a point.

Juan T. Llibre

Mark.

You're mistaken.
This is not a text-only newsgroup, like most usenet newsgroups.

There's no newsgroup dedicated to binaries on this server so,
if we don't send binaries here, we have nowhere to send them.

What's frowned on is sending large binaries,or sending images
in a space-consuming format, like bmp, instead of gif/jpg.

But, small binaries are OK.
They've been OK since the newsgroups began operating.

So the servers aren't clogged up, messages are flushed
every couple of months, as are the images, too, so don't worry.

:)

There's tons of resources which keep the message store's whole history,
like Google Groups, .Net 247 and a host of others, if you wish to do research
beyond the two month flushing threshhold.

Mark Rae

I wouldn't worry at all about sending small binaries to help explain a
point.

Except that people whose newsreaders are set to strip them off (for reasons
of security or whatever) will obviously never see them so, for them, they
don't help to explain anything...

Much better is to place the binaries on a public server and provide a
link...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Much better is to place the binaries on a public server and provide a link...

Mark,

This *is* Microsoft's public newsgroup server... ;-)

We don't have a dedicated binaries newsgroup, and this is not usenet,
where rules like the one you mention do apply because they *do* have binaries ng's.

Believe me, it's OK to send small binaries here.
Naturally, we ask that people be considerate, and not post large binaries.

Mark Rae

There's no newsgroup dedicated to binaries on this server so,
if we don't send binaries here, we have nowhere to send them.

??? Put them on a public server and provide a link...
So the servers aren't clogged up, messages are flushed
every couple of months, as are the images, too, so don't worry.

You're totally missing the point. I'm not complaining about binary
attachments from some sort of moral standpoint, and I couldn't care less
about how much space they take... It's just that I and everyone else whose
newsreaders filter them out will never see them!

Was the binary that Steve posted useful / interesting / helpful? I wouldn't
know, you see...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
It's just that I and everyone else whose newsreaders filter them out will never see them!
Was the binary that Steve posted useful / interesting / helpful? I wouldn't know, you see...

It was very useful...and saved a lot of verbal explaining,
which is the purpose of posting images ( as long as they're not too large ).

Just because *you* cannot see attachments,
why should everybody else should suffer the lack of them ?

What's it to you ? You don't see attachments, anyway...

You should talk to your network admins so they allow gif and jpg images.
They don't pose a danger to anybody.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks all,

Yes, I've ever got that large attachment(over 100k) should be avoid in such
newsgroup. That's why I only attache some small ones now :). If possible,
I'd rather send any attachement through email to others. Sure, a public
server (http or ftp) should be the best choice, however, I haven't such
storage so far :(

Thanks for your comments.