Refresh/Databind a GridView on another page

Dave

I have an GridView on one page that will open a popup for the selected
record. I've been told that there is a way that when the popup record
is updated the GridView can be refreshed or Databind.

I've been looking for the answer with no luck. I'm probably just not
asking the question correctly. Thanks for any assistance.

Coskun SUNALI [MVP]

Hi Dave,

Have you been able to look around using the capabilities of Microsoft Ajax?
Putting your GridView inside an UpdatePanel control and firing the refresh
(via a Callback) with a basic javascript function that will be called using
the "window.opener" object from the popup window...

All the best,
Coskun SUNALI
MVP ASP/ASP.NET
http://sunali.com

Guest

You can do it easier, using javascript simply refresh the window with
gridview and add Grid.DataBind() method on Page Load. If you use MS AJAX,
your visitors will have to download 400KB javascript file on each page...it
stays in cache, but if you need only bind a grid it's unnecessary.

Regards,

Lukas Holota

Coskun SUNALI [MVP]

Hi,

That is an another idea but obviously more expensive concidering the
performance and if you imagine that the page is around 100KB and the client
causes 5 refreshes - which is a normal amount of refresh if s/he want to
edit some data - it will use more than 400KB bandwidth.

In addition, refreshing the grid on every postback may also cause a
performance problem due to the page might be refreshed for some other
reasons rather than refreshing the data within the grid.

--
All the best,
Coskun SUNALI