Refresh my memory:Interactions between separate IE instances?

B. Chernick

Ok guys, refresh my memory. I have a vague memory from years ago of a Dot
Net 1.1 web app in which one window was opened from another (not a message
box or anything like that, but a fully separate Internet Explorer. When the
finish button was clicked, the second window while closing somehow triggered
a refresh in the window that originally called it.

What was this technique called?

Ralph Wiggum

Javascript's opener property can be used to call functions in the original window from the new window. Use the onunload event of the new window to trigger the refresh.

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Not sure if the "technique" actually has a name, but essentially you are
telling the parent to call a method from inside the unload event handler of
the child window (or a similar event). it can also be done in the parent
window itself using stuff like the returnValue on the window object returned
from the window.open method.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

B. Chernick

Thanks to both of you.

After some hacking I was able to get a demo going, using a javascript
function call from a link to launch a 2nd window. I then put a button and a
textbox on the form of the 2nd window. When the button is clicked, the
textbox's value is put in a session state variable and a
ClientScriptManager.RegisterStartUpScript call (would have been
Page.RegisterStartupScript in Dot Net 1.1) is used to call another javascript
function which closes the popup and refreshes the parent window. The refresh
allows the display of the session state variable.

(But this still doesn't feel like what I used to to on my last job. I could
have sworn there was another VB function that was used. Oh well, at least
this works.)