    I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
    javascript involved.

    thanks
    charleh, Dec 14, 2004

  2. charleh

    SpaceGirl Guest

    charleh wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
    > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
    > toolbar.
    >
    > I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
    > javascript involved.
    >
    > thanks

    there's a little javascript that 'sort of works'.

    The problem is, the page is very likely to just be fetched from cache.
    And the browser knows this so doesn't actually bother refreshing at all!
    Duh. There are more complicated tricks (such as generating a random
    number and passing it as parameter to the page so that the browser
    'thinks' that the page you are visiting is new or unique)... but it gets
    complicated quickly. Try it and see.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 14, 2004

  3. charleh

    charleh Guest

    great, thanks for the response. I'll try this out :)

    charleh

    charleh, Dec 14, 2004
  4. "charleh" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

    button
    > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
    > toolbar.

    Why ? This seems like a classic case of re-inventing the wheel.

    --
    Richard
    Richard Rundle, Dec 14, 2004
  5. charleh

    RobM Guest

    "charleh" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh

    button
    > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
    > toolbar.
    >
    > I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code

    or
    > javascript involved.
    >
    > thanks

    Hi, wouldn't this just be a submit button, coming back to the same page?

    Cheers
    RobM
    RobM, Dec 14, 2004
  6. charleh

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, charleh <> said:

    > I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
    > which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
    > toolbar.

    Why? Your visitor already has a perfectly good refresh (or reload, or
    whatever) button built into their browser. Why would they need one on
    your page as well?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 14, 2004
  7. charleh

    charleh Guest

    Calm down ladies :)

    When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
    refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
    on. This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
    onto the thread you were just reading :)

    charleh, Dec 16, 2004
  8. charleh

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:59 -0000, "charleh"
    <> wrote:

    >When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
    >refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
    >on.

    But surely the forum the user is on is the current page?

    > This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
    >onto the thread you were just reading :)

    You're using frames aren't you? Silly you.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Dec 16, 2004
  9. charleh

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, charleh <> said:

    > When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
    > refreshes the page.

    Yessss...

    > I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
    > on.

    Which would be...let's see...the current page!

    > This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
    > onto the thread you were just reading :)

    I'm refreshing the current page; why would I be taken back to the main
    page of the site?

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2004
  10. charleh

    charleh Guest

    Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

    A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask why
    and offer no help whatsoever.

    Merry Christmas!

    ;)

    charleh, Dec 17, 2004
  11. charleh

    rf Guest

    charleh wrote:

    > Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >
    > A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask why
    > and offer no help whatsoever.

    And just how do you think that helps *us* with *your* problem? You have not
    even described the real problem, just a cry for help with a percieved
    solution.

    What is your *real* problem?

    > Merry Christmas!

    Bah humbug.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 17, 2004
  12. charleh

    charleh Guest

    Not anymore :)

    Thank you Steve.

    charleh, Dec 17, 2004
  13. charleh

    Neal Guest

    charleh wrote:

    > Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >
    > A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask
    > why
    > and offer no help whatsoever.

    No, it's:

    How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

    None. We can't until you let us look at the socket.
    Neal, Dec 17, 2004
  14. charleh

    rf Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > charleh wrote:
    >
    > > Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > >
    > > A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask
    > > why
    > > and offer no help whatsoever.

    > No, it's:
    >
    > How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >
    > None. We can't until you let us look at the socket.

    No, it's:

    How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

    Huh? A light bulb? Er, that's a hardware problem. alt.hardware is that
    way -->

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 18, 2004
  15. charleh

    Neal Guest

    rf wrote:

    > No, it's:
    >
    > How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >
    > Huh? A light bulb? Er, that's a hardware problem. alt.hardware is that
    > way -->

    No, it's:

    How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a light bulb?

    That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.
    Neal, Dec 18, 2004
  16. charleh

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:

    But the view is better up here.

    > That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.

    --
    Mr. D?
    Never trust a cat to do a dog's job.
    Duende, Dec 18, 2004
  17. charleh

    rf Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > No, it's:
    > >
    > > How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > >
    > > Huh? A light bulb? Er, that's a hardware problem. alt.hardware is that
    > > way -->

    > No, it's:
    >
    > How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a light bulb?
    >
    > That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.

    b b but, lights are *usually* at the top of a post. In our street they are.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 18, 2004
  18. charleh

    Neal Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Neal wrote
    >> That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.

    > b b but, lights are *usually* at the top of a post. In our street they
    > are.

    No the appropriate response was:

    "You're all a bunch of assholes for not changing my lightbulb even though
    you don't know exactly why the lights won't go on!"
    Neal, Dec 18, 2004