refresh page icon

charleh

Hello,

I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
javascript involved.

thanks

SpaceGirl

charleh said:
Hello,

I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
javascript involved.

thanks

there's a little javascript that 'sort of works'.

The problem is, the page is very likely to just be fetched from cache.
And the browser knows this so doesn't actually bother refreshing at all!
Duh. There are more complicated tricks (such as generating a random
number and passing it as parameter to the page so that the browser
'thinks' that the page you are visiting is new or unique)... but it gets
complicated quickly. Try it and see.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Richard Rundle

charleh said:
Hello,

I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

Why ? This seems like a classic case of re-inventing the wheel.

RobM

charleh said:
Hello,

I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

I have seen this on various sites but I wasn't sure if there is HTML code or
javascript involved.

thanks

Hi, wouldn't this just be a submit button, coming back to the same page?

Cheers
RobM

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I'm in the middle of building a forum and would like to add a refresh button
which allows visitors to refresh the page without using the icon on the
toolbar.

Why? Your visitor already has a perfectly good refresh (or reload, or
whatever) button built into their browser. Why would they need one on
your page as well?

charleh

Calm down ladies :)

When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
on. This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
onto the thread you were just reading :)

Steve Pugh

When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
refreshes the page. I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
on.

But surely the forum the user is on is the current page?
This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
onto the thread you were just reading :)

You're using frames aren't you? Silly you.

Steve

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
When you refresh the page using the browser button it does exactly that,
refreshes the page.
Yessss...

I only want to refresh the current forum the visitor is
on.

Which would be...let's see...the current page!
This saves navigating your way back from the main page to the forum and
onto the thread you were just reading :)

I'm refreshing the current page; why would I be taken back to the main
page of the site?

charleh

Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask why
and offer no help whatsoever.

Merry Christmas!

;)

rf

charleh said:
Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask why
and offer no help whatsoever.

And just how do you think that helps *us* with *your* problem? You have not
even described the real problem, just a cry for help with a percieved
solution.

What is your *real* problem?
Merry Christmas!

Bah humbug.

Neal

charleh said:
Q. How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. All of them. 1 to actually change the lightbulb and the rest to ask
why
and offer no help whatsoever.

No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. We can't until you let us look at the socket.

rf

Neal said:
No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. We can't until you let us look at the socket.

No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Huh? A light bulb? Er, that's a hardware problem. alt.hardware is that
way -->

Neal

rf said:
No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Huh? A light bulb? Er, that's a hardware problem. alt.hardware is that
way -->

No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a light bulb?

That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.

rf

Neal said:
No, it's:

How many alt.html'ers does it take to change a light bulb?

That's off-topic. And please stop top-posting.

b b but, lights are *usually* at the top of a post. In our street they are.

Neal

rf said:
Neal wrote

b b but, lights are *usually* at the top of a post. In our street they
are.

No the appropriate response was:

"You're all a bunch of assholes for not changing my lightbulb even though
you don't know exactly why the lights won't go on!"