    refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?

    The following code does not work,

    Thanks very much in advance

    Rule-Ur-Wayz, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Rule-Ur-Wayz

    PH Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
    > The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
    > changes frequently.
    >
    > Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
    > refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?
    >
    > The following code does not work,
    >

    > Thanks very much in advance

    Maybe this ?

    <head>
    <script>
    setInterval ( "doSomething()", 1000 );

    function doSomething ( )
    {
    // (do something here)
    window.right.location = "http://www.somewebsite.com/"
    }

    </script>
    </head>

    --
    Best Regards
    Peter Heinzl

    PH, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Rule-Ur-Wayz

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "Rule-Ur-Wayz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
    > The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
    > changes frequently.
    >
    > Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
    > refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?
    >
    > The following code does not work,

    I'm sure someone in this group will be along in a minute to tell you why
    Frames Are Evil, but a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
    frameset that contains the target frame.

    --
    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

    Amos E Wolfe, Nov 25, 2007
  4. Rule-Ur-Wayz

    dorayme Guest

    In article <B7l2j.43768$>,
    "Amos E Wolfe" <> wrote:

    > "Rule-Ur-Wayz" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
    > > The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
    > > changes frequently.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
    > > refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?
    > >
    > > The following code does not work,
    > >

    > a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
    > frameset that contains the target frame.

    OP is asking how to make it happen on his audiences computers not
    his own.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 25, 2007
  5. Rule-Ur-Wayz

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <B7l2j.43768$>,
    > "Amos E Wolfe" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Rule-Ur-Wayz" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
    >> > The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
    >> > changes frequently.
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
    >> > refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?
    >> >
    >> > The following code does not work,
    >> >

    >> a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
    >> frameset that contains the target frame.

    > OP is asking how to make it happen on his audiences computers not
    > his own.

    Then the refresh of the page in the frame would be done with something like,
    say, javascript then. There are a number of ways I can offhandedly think of
    to do this, each of which would just sit there eating up my bandwidth,
    especially if it is every 5 seconds, not even considering the flashing that
    would go on as the page is "refreshed" and repainted. I would be long gone.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 25, 2007
  6. Rule-Ur-Wayz

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Bqn2j.17023$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <B7l2j.43768$>,
    > > "Amos E Wolfe" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Rule-Ur-Wayz" <> wrote in message

    > >> a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
    > >> frameset that contains the target frame.

    > > OP is asking how to make it happen on his audiences computers not
    > > his own.

    > Then the refresh of the page in the frame would be done with something like,
    > say, javascript then. There are a number of ways I can offhandedly think of
    > to do this, each of which would just sit there eating up my bandwidth,
    > especially if it is every 5 seconds, not even considering the flashing that
    > would go on as the page is "refreshed" and repainted. I would be long gone.

    You are not wrong about this, it is a nasty thing for OP to want
    and the sort of thing that should worry anyone with a smallish
    download limits (like my plan). Imagine leaving the computer for
    a good while without noticing ...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 26, 2007