Refresh page in another frame every x seconds

Rule-Ur-Wayz

Hi

My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
changes frequently.

Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?

The following code does not work,

Thanks very much in advance

PH

Hi
My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
changes frequently.

Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?

The following code does not work,

Thanks very much in advance

Maybe this ?

<head>
<script>
setInterval ( "doSomething()", 1000 );

function doSomething ( )
{
// (do something here)
window.right.location = "http://www.somewebsite.com/"
}

</script>
</head>

Amos E Wolfe

Rule-Ur-Wayz said:
Hi

My website has 4 frames, namely: top, left, right (mainFrame), bottom
The right frame is linked to other website which has content that
changes frequently.

Is it possible to write a refresh code on the left frame that will
refresh the content on the right frame every 5 seconds?

The following code does not work,

I'm sure someone in this group will be along in a minute to tell you why
Frames Are Evil, but a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
frameset that contains the target frame.

dorayme

"Amos E Wolfe said:
a nested frameset could work - simply refresh the
frameset that contains the target frame.

OP is asking how to make it happen on his audiences computers not
his own.

rf

dorayme said:
OP is asking how to make it happen on his audiences computers not
his own.

Then the refresh of the page in the frame would be done with something like,
say, javascript then. There are a number of ways I can offhandedly think of
to do this, each of which would just sit there eating up my bandwidth,
especially if it is every 5 seconds, not even considering the flashing that
would go on as the page is "refreshed" and repainted. I would be long gone.

dorayme

"rf said:
Then the refresh of the page in the frame would be done with something like,
say, javascript then. There are a number of ways I can offhandedly think of
to do this, each of which would just sit there eating up my bandwidth,
especially if it is every 5 seconds, not even considering the flashing that
would go on as the page is "refreshed" and repainted. I would be long gone.

You are not wrong about this, it is a nasty thing for OP to want
and the sort of thing that should worry anyone with a smallish
download limits (like my plan). Imagine leaving the computer for
a good while without noticing ...