Refresh Parent window from child window causes problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Raj, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Raj

    Raj Guest

    Hi All,
    I have a problem with trying to refresh the parent window from
    child window in order to update data in the parent window.

    The sequence of events are
    1) I click a button in the parent window to open a child window thru
    javascript
    window.open

    2) I have some functionality in the child window that changes the data
    in the parent window.

    3) I need to refresh the parent window on child window closing

    I read some posts here and I did window.opener.location.reload(true)
    and window.opener.reload(true). when I did this, IE came up saying
    "This page cannot be refreshed without resending information, Click
    retry to send the information again ...." and all that crap when I hit
    this the page is refreshed, but the ItemCommand of the parent window
    had the same event that opened the child window and it opened it
    again.

    So even when I close it, I end up with the same window again.

    Can someone please help me to refresh my parent window without this
    message box and I dont want to have the child window open again

    TIA
    Raj
    Raj, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Raj

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hmmm, to me it seems quite obvious that the Refresh function re-opens your child window. This was exactly what happened when you loaded your page the last time - and Refresh just repeats this loading process.

    I'd set the parent window to a new location in order to have it "forget" its current state. Either by setting it to "opener.location=opener.location;" or if this doesn't work "opener.location=null; opener.location=opener.location;" or something.

    HTH,
    Axel Dahmen

    ------------------------------

    Axel Dahmen, Jun 30, 2003

  3. The problem lies in the way that WebForms work (POSTing back to themselves),
    and the way the browser works. When a browser tries to refresh a page that
    is the result of a form submission, it is necessary to re-submit the form,
    as the form was generated as a result of a previous POST request.

    Your only solution is to not refresh the browser in the parent window, but
    to send a fresh GET request for the page, as if hyperlinked (as in
    "parent.location = 'someURL'"). This may be problematic, as you probably
    want to retain the state of the page as it presently exists, and a fresh
    request for the page will return it in its' initial state. A workaround for
    this would be to append a QueryString to the request, so that the
    server-side class can read the QueryString in order to update itself to the
    proper state. Another workaround would be to re-post the parent form (as in
    "parent.forms[0].submit()"). Again, you would have to make sure that the
    parent page could restore itself to its' correct state based upon the
    results of the post.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Raj

    gautamkhosla29

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Refreshing parent window and closing child window.

    Hi,

    Do try the following. It would work.

    "window.opener.document.<formName of parent>.submit();
    window.close();"

    example: window.opener.document.f1.submit();
    where f1 is the name of the form of parent window.

    Your child window will be closed and parent window will be refreshed.

    Enjoy!!

    Gautam Khosla
    Software Engineer
    gautamkhosla29, Jun 11, 2009