Refresh Trigger

Peter

ASP.NET 3.5

I have a web page and this web page has a DataList, when user hovers the
mouse over a picture in the datalist a popup appers, this popup is a User
Control and it has a cancel button. After the user clicks on the cancel
button I want the DataList to refresh its self. How can I do that - how can
I tell the DataList or the parent web page to refresh it's self from the
Popup / User Control?

Thank You

Peter

bruce barker

this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
window.opener to do a postback.

a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new window.
then list could be updated with a simple postback.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Peter

bruce barker said:
this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
window.opener to do a postback.

a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new window.
then list could be updated with a simple postback.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I've tried window.location.reload();
which works, but it refreshes the entire window and I would like to refresh
only the UpdatePanel where the DataList resides?

Is there a way to do that?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

To refresh the UpdatePanel we need to get the UpdatePanel client id first.
You can view source of the page at client side to find it. Then we can
call this function in JavaScript to refresh the UpdatePanel:

__doPostBack("UpdatePanel_ClientID","args here. You can pass any strings");

Please have a try and let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------
| From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Refresh Trigger
| Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:59:26 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|

| | > this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
| > window.opener to do a postback.
| >
| > a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new window.
| > then list could be updated with a simple postback.
| >
| > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
| >
| > Peter wrote:
| >> ASP.NET 3.5
| >>
| >> I have a web page and this web page has a DataList, when user hovers
the
| >> mouse over a picture in the datalist a popup appers, this popup is a
User
| >> Control and it has a cancel button. After the user clicks on the
cancel
| >> button I want the DataList to refresh its self. How can I do that -
how
| >> can I tell the DataList or the parent web page to refresh it's self
from
| >> the Popup / User Control?
| >>

| >> Thank You
| >>

| >> Peter
|

| I've tried window.location.reload();
| which works, but it refreshes the entire window and I would like to
refresh
| only the UpdatePanel where the DataList resides?
|
| Is there a way to do that?

Peter

Allen Chen said:
Hi Peter,

To refresh the UpdatePanel we need to get the UpdatePanel client id first.
You can view source of the page at client side to find it. Then we can
call this function in JavaScript to refresh the UpdatePanel:

__doPostBack("UpdatePanel_ClientID","args here. You can pass any
strings");

Please have a try and let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support
Engineer
rights.
--------------------
| From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Refresh Trigger
| Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:59:26 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|

| | > this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
| > window.opener to do a postback.
| >
| > a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new
window.
| > then list could be updated with a simple postback.
| >
| > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
| >
| > Peter wrote:
| >> ASP.NET 3.5
| >>
| >> I have a web page and this web page has a DataList, when user hovers
the
| >> mouse over a picture in the datalist a popup appers, this popup is a
User
| >> Control and it has a cancel button. After the user clicks on the
cancel
| >> button I want the DataList to refresh its self. How can I do that -
how
| >> can I tell the DataList or the parent web page to refresh it's self
from
| >> the Popup / User Control?
| >>

| >> Thank You
| >>

| >> Peter
|

| I've tried window.location.reload();
| which works, but it refreshes the entire window and I would like to
refresh
| only the UpdatePanel where the DataList resides?
|
| Is there a way to do that?

Thank You !

That works!