Refreshing a DataList

Nathan Sokalski

I have a DataList control that I want users to be able to sort the data in
by clicking 1 of 3 buttons. The function I have created to do this is as
follows:

Private Sub SortPoems(ByVal sortby As String)
Dim ratedpoems As New DataTable
Dim sqltext As String = "SELECT * FROM poemratings ORDER BY "

Select Case sortby
Case "title"
sqltext &= "title"
Case "rating"
sqltext &= "(totalpoints/timesrated),timesrated,title"
Case "timesrated"
sqltext &= "timesrated,(totalpoints/timesrated),title"
End Select
Dim dataadapterSelect As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sqltext,
System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("connectionstring"))
dataadapterSelect.Fill(ratedpoems)
Me.datRatings.DataSource = ratedpoems
Me.datRatings.DataBind()
End Sub

When the page first loads, I call

Me.SortPoems("title")

from Page_Load, which works fine, but when I try to call it a second time
using one of the buttons it does not work. However, if I call it twice in
Page_Load, it does work when I call it with the buttons. Why is this? What
is it that calling it a second time in Page_Load does that allows me to call
it with the buttons? I am using Microsoft Access as my database, and I am
using ASP.NET 2.0. Thanks.

Goofy

1.) When you say you cannot call it from one of the buttons, do you mean

a.) That the code is not executed
b) That the code is executed but does not work as expected.?

2.) If 1a) Then you need to look at the handler for the button , if 1b)
then you need to review if the DataList is being bound somehere else in you
code .

3.) The order the events fire in are important, look at your event handlers
for the page events and make sure you are not rebinding the control to
another or an unpopulated data source.

HTH