Refreshing a window without losing references to the child windows.

Vijay Kumar

Hello all

I have a window (call it the parent window) that when moved makes any
children windows (windows that were opened by this window) move by the
same distance in X & Y direction. I do this by using Javascript to
keep ref to child window and call a moveBy() method on each child
window when the parent window.onMove() event.

This all works fine, and the effect is like baby windows following the
parent window when you move the parent window.

However , as soon as I refresh the parent window or navigate to
another URL in the parent window my Javascript refrences are lost and
this setup does not work any more.

Any ideas? workarounds?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Vijay

F. Da Costa

Vijay said:
Hello all

I have a window (call it the parent window) that when moved makes any
children windows (windows that were opened by this window) move by the
same distance in X & Y direction. I do this by using Javascript to
keep ref to child window and call a moveBy() method on each child
window when the parent window.onMove() event.

This all works fine, and the effect is like baby windows following the
parent window when you move the parent window.

However , as soon as I refresh the parent window or navigate to
another URL in the parent window my Javascript refrences are lost and
this setup does not work any more.

Any ideas? workarounds?
You might want to have a look at a very recent thread:
*IE 5+ bug? How to store complex objects whilst changing pages*

Depending on your exact implementation i can imagine a situation whereby
the addressed issues could have a bearing on your issue as well.

Fermin