Refreshing with frames.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by ugo.matrangolo@gmail.com, May 3, 2006.

    I'm trying to write a site to manage a scientific conference
    (submitting paper, reviews, etc.) for a friend.

    The application is almost finished but i have a little problem with its
    page layout; The site is composed within a frame in which there are the
    menu, the banner and the main page. Initially, you are an
    unauthenticated user lurkin around; when you want to submit a paper you
    have to authenticate using a login form. The tech used to auth the
    users is JAAS that puts a Princiapal in session in order to indicate
    the authenticated user.

    It works but i have a little problem with the refresh of the pages in
    the main frame. When the user authenticates only the subpage with the
    login form is refreshed but the rest of the site (in the various
    frames) is not! This is a problem beacuse I have to dinamycally reload
    the menu in order to show the available option for the user. Currently
    i cannot figure out how to do this simple refresh! Hitting an F5 is my
    current workaround .

    I think it must be a JS trick but i dont know js well enough.

    Can anyone direct me trought the right and quickest solution ??

    Thank in advance for every hints.

    Bye,
    Ugo.

    , May 3, 2006

  2. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 03 mei 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > It works but i have a little problem with the refresh of the pages in
    > the main frame. When the user authenticates only the subpage with the
    > login form is refreshed but the rest of the site (in the various
    > frames) is not!

    You did not specify the serverside engine.

    Under ASP you can [and should] set the result of authentication in a
    session variable, and since all pages in your frames are under the same
    session, their in-domain links have automagically access to that session
    variable.

    The concept of a clientside page being authenicated is strange to me.

    Framing are also problematical in many other ways,
    so why start a new site with frames, btw?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., May 3, 2006