Reg authentication for classic asp internal web site

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Srismiles, Jul 15, 2010.

  1. Srismiles

    Srismiles Guest

    You cannot vote on your own post
    0

    hi

    am new to classic asp, now my requirement is to migrate authentication from
    site minder to windows authentication.

    Here is the brief overview of the internal web site

    when ever we request the internal web site a log in page is displayed that
    is hosted by site minder, it validates the credentials and re directs to the
    main page of the site.

    now i want to eliminate the site minder authentication and go for windows
    authenticaton.

    can any one list out the steps to take care of and how to setup up windows
    AD accounts and creations of domains and enabling windows authentication.

    Thanks in advance

    Srismiles, Jul 15, 2010

  2. Srismiles

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Jpc21pbGVz?= wrote on 15 jul 2010 in

    > am new to classic asp, now my requirement is to migrate authentication
    > from site minder to windows authentication.

    Why?

    > Here is the brief overview of the internal web site
    >
    > when ever we request the internal web site a log in page is displayed
    > that is hosted by site minder, it validates the credentials and re
    > directs to the main page of the site.
    >
    > now i want to eliminate the site minder authentication and go for
    > windows authenticaton.

    I don't think you can log in with windows authentication on a webpage,
    when you are not yet logged in.

    > can any one list out the steps to take care of and how to setup up
    > windows AD accounts and creations of domains and enabling windows
    > authentication.

    If so this has nothing to do with classic ASP,
    being a platform dor serverside page scripting.

    However it has to do with IIS, which has it's own NG.

    In the mean time read this:

    <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754628(WS.10).aspx>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 15, 2010

  3. Srismiles

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Srismiles wrote:
    > You cannot vote on your own post
    > 0
    >
    > hi
    >
    > am new to classic asp, now my requirement is to migrate
    > authentication from site minder to windows authentication.
    >
    > Here is the brief overview of the internal web site
    >
    > when ever we request the internal web site a log in page is displayed
    > that is hosted by site minder, it validates the credentials and re
    > directs to the main page of the site.
    >
    > now i want to eliminate the site minder authentication and go for
    > windows authenticaton.
    >
    > can any one list out the steps to take care of and how to setup up
    > windows AD accounts and creations of domains and enabling windows
    > authentication.

    Get to the website properties in IIS Manager, in directory security tab,
    click the Edit button in the Authentication and access control section,
    and change Basic Authentication to Integrated Windows Authentication,
    and unclick the Anonymous button, if you need to know who the user is.

    As far as AD accounts, etc. are concerned, that is out of scope of this
    group. You can set permissions to the site by right-clicking the site
    and choosing Permissions. But your network administrator will already
    have needed to create any AD groups you need to grant permissions to, as
    well as adding users to those groups.

    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Jul 15, 2010
  4. Srismiles

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    >> > now i want to eliminate the site minder authentication and go for
    >> > windows authenticaton.

    > I don't think you can log in with windows authentication on a webpage,
    > when you are not yet logged in.

    On Intranet ASP applications, non-IE browsers prompt for Windows
    authentication. I do not know why this is so. I see it everyday on LAN.

    --
    Bwig Zomberi

    Bwig Zomberi, Jul 19, 2010
  5. Srismiles

    Evertjan. Guest

    Bwig Zomberi wrote on 19 jul 2010 in

    >> I don't think you can log in with windows authentication on a webpage,
    >> when you are not yet logged in.
    >>

    > On Intranet ASP applications, non-IE browsers prompt for Windows
    > authentication. I do not know why this is so. I see it everyday on LAN.

    I seem to be lacking in knowledge here.

    Is this part of the browser,
    or is this just the OS setting up the connection browser independently?
    And do non-asp pages on the same domain get anonymous access?

    Even so, the login cannot be don ON an asp page, meseems.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 19, 2010
  6. Srismiles

    Dan Guest

    "Bwig Zomberi" <> wrote in message

    >> I don't think you can log in with windows authentication on a webpage,
    >> when you are not yet logged in.
    >>

    > On Intranet ASP applications, non-IE browsers prompt for Windows
    > authentication. I do not know why this is so. I see it everyday on LAN.

    It's because IE will automatically send Windows authentication details to
    the Intranet zone, all other browsers will prompt for the details.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jul 19, 2010
  7. Srismiles

    Dooza Guest

    On 19/07/2010 10:26, Dan wrote:

    > "Bwig Zomberi" <> wrote in message
    >>> I don't think you can log in with windows authentication on a webpage,
    >>> when you are not yet logged in.
    >>>

    >> On Intranet ASP applications, non-IE browsers prompt for Windows
    >> authentication. I do not know why this is so. I see it everyday on LAN.

    > It's because IE will automatically send Windows authentication details
    > to the Intranet zone, all other browsers will prompt for the details.

    In Firefox you can add the site to a list of sites that get
    authenticated. I do this all the time for internal sites that need
    Windows Authentication.
    http://markmonica.com/2007/11/20/firefox-and-integrated-windows-authentication/

    Dooza

    Dooza, Jul 19, 2010