reg exp help

Jim

Hi,

I'm trying to make a regular expression for the following:

I am creating a message format as follows:
start of string has the length of a message
'E' character indicates end of the length part
the rest of the string is the true message, example:

"5Ehello"

I need a reg exp that will return for me the length, and also the msg
portion (in this case 'hello' ) only if the length is correct (5 in
this case).

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

James Keasley

JRCondon

No need for regex here; you can do this with strings:
from string import split
stext = split(text,'E',1)
if int(stext[0]) == len(stext[1]):
return stext[1]
else:
return None
'Hello'

But, if you want to use a regex: import re
m = re.match('(?P<txtlen>\d+)E(?P<txt>.*$)',text)
txt = m.group('txt')
if int(m.group('txtlen')) == len(txt):
return txt
else:
return None
'Hello'

JRC

James Keasley

Christopher T King

This snippet should do it.

$string =~ /(\d+)E(.*)/;
if (length($s) == $1){
print "$1\n";
}

Uhh... what I think he means is:

import re

l,s = re.match(r'(\d+)E(.*)',string).groups()
if len(s) == int(l):
print s