Regarding J2EE production environment

Discussion in 'Java' started by Suja, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Suja

    Suja Guest

    Hi all,

    I am working in company specialized for ASP services and we use J2EE
    very hevily in our components. We have a Trade division, Technology
    Division, Health Care Division etc. The TD division create components
    like security component, Billing Component, Customer TRacking
    component etc. We give these components to other divisions as jar
    files. NOw the other divisions when creating the "EAR" file, will
    include our jar files and deploy in application server. This is the
    scenario.

    Now assume that Technology Division is making some changes in their
    jar files,
    the other divisions need to re jar them, create ear and redeploy , the
    process which needs immediate revamp.Implementing all components as
    web services is not practical too.

    How in large corporate environments such a scenario is handled, your
    help is appreciated, and thanks a lot in advance. If there are any
    links to solve such issues, please let me know, thanks.
    Suja, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Maybe you can use an exploded EAR File.

    Michael

    Michael Meyer, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Suja

    Sudsy Guest

    Suja wrote:
    > Hi all,

    <snip>
    > Now assume that Technology Division is making some changes in their
    > jar files,
    > the other divisions need to re jar them, create ear and redeploy , the
    > process which needs immediate revamp.Implementing all components as
    > web services is not practical too.
    >
    > How in large corporate environments such a scenario is handled, your
    > help is appreciated, and thanks a lot in advance. If there are any
    > links to solve such issues, please let me know, thanks.

    You might want to look into CVS.
    Sudsy, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Suja

    Jose Rubio Guest

    Like Suja said, you need to look into a version control (and configuration
    management) system, assuming you don't already have one in place. There are
    plenty to chose from, from the free CVS (which is really good) to the
    expensive ClearCase from Rational which is an awesome product too.

    This way you can make either the source code accessible to other divisions
    available, or the jar file. You can then make a release tag that other
    divisions can checkout,etc.

    --
    Jose Rubio
    Lead Consultant