Regarding J2EE production environment

Suja

Hi all,

I am working in company specialized for ASP services and we use J2EE
very hevily in our components. We have a Trade division, Technology
Division, Health Care Division etc. The TD division create components
like security component, Billing Component, Customer TRacking
component etc. We give these components to other divisions as jar
files. NOw the other divisions when creating the "EAR" file, will
include our jar files and deploy in application server. This is the
scenario.

Now assume that Technology Division is making some changes in their
jar files,
the other divisions need to re jar them, create ear and redeploy , the
process which needs immediate revamp.Implementing all components as
web services is not practical too.

How in large corporate environments such a scenario is handled, your
help is appreciated, and thanks a lot in advance. If there are any
links to solve such issues, please let me know, thanks.

Sudsy

Suja said:
Now assume that Technology Division is making some changes in their
jar files,
the other divisions need to re jar them, create ear and redeploy , the
process which needs immediate revamp.Implementing all components as
web services is not practical too.

How in large corporate environments such a scenario is handled, your
help is appreciated, and thanks a lot in advance. If there are any
links to solve such issues, please let me know, thanks.

You might want to look into CVS.

Jose Rubio

Like Suja said, you need to look into a version control (and configuration
management) system, assuming you don't already have one in place. There are
plenty to chose from, from the free CVS (which is really good) to the
expensive ClearCase from Rational which is an awesome product too.

This way you can make either the source code accessible to other divisions
available, or the jar file. You can then make a release tag that other
divisions can checkout,etc.