    where i can get these downloads,
    Thanks in advance.
    Ranjan
    Jaggu, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Jaggu

    Tom Hawtin Guest

    Jaggu wrote:
    > I am porting my application from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux. For
    > my application i am using JDK 122 and JDK 144. Do these versions have
    > downloads available for 64 bit linux. If yes, Please let me know from
    > where i can get these downloads,

    JDK 122 and JDK 144? Do you mean JDK 1.2.2 and 1.4.2 (there was no 1.4.4)?

    Sun provides a 64-bit Linux version of 1.4.2 - for Itanium.

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

    1.4 is really old. Why not try new 1.6, which is available for AMD64 Linux.

    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

    Tom Hawtin
    Tom Hawtin, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Jaggu

    Lew Guest

    Tom Hawtin wrote:
    > JDK 122 and JDK 144? Do you mean JDK 1.2.2 and 1.4.2 (there was no 1.4.4)?
    >
    > Sun provides a 64-bit Linux version of 1.4.2 - for Itanium.
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
    >
    > 1.4 is really old. Why not try new 1.6, which is available for AMD64 Linux.
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

    Just to reassure the OP, Java 6 should run your code just fine. If you are
    recompiling source you can set the source level on the rebuild to match your
    code if you are using identifiers like "assert" or "enum" that have become
    keywords, or to suppress warnings related to generics features.

    I am running AMD64 Fedora 5 Linux. I found out that you need to use the 32-bit
    versions of Java to support applets and webstart, although that might have
    changed since I last checked. Unfortunately for me, even with the 32-bit Javas
    the Firefox that came with Fedora 64 doesn't love applets, and I haven't yet
    bothered to kick it out for a custom install.

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Jaggu

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Jaggu wrote:

    > Hi All.
    > I am porting my application from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux. For
    > my application i am using JDK 122 and JDK 144. Do these versions have
    > downloads available for 64 bit linux. If yes, Please let me know from
    > where i can get these downloads,
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Ranjan

    What exactly are you trying to port?

    Java shouldn't distinguish between platforms, so your "32bit" Java application
    should run perfectly happily in a 64bit JVM, as would a "64bit" Java
    application in a 32bit JVM. I do nearly all my development work on a 32bit
    desktop, the jars work perfectly fine on both 32bit and 64bit systems. How
    would you publish applets/WebStart if you needed different jars for 32bit and
    64bit clients?

    Also, many 64bit Linux distros. will happily run 32bit applications (even for
    the Itanium, albeit rather slowly). So you can most likely run a 32bit Java SDK
    on your 64bit Linux (you may need to install 32bit support packages/libraries,
    that will depend on the Linux distro.).

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
    Nigel Wade, Jan 8, 2007