Regarding .NET framework requirements

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tarundeep Singh Kalra, May 6, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
    framework is a pre-requiste .

    So my questions are :-

    1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
    Future OS's ?

    2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
    application . is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
    want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?
    Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
    assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
    users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
    desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

    3). What is expected time when Longhorn would be released ?

    4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
    it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

    Regards

    --
    Tarun
    Tarundeep Singh Kalra

    tarun_at_tarunsadhana_dot_com
    visit:
    www.tarunsadhana.com

    Tarundeep Singh Kalra, May 6, 2004

  2. Tarundeep Singh Kalra

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 19:39:33 +0530, Tarundeep Singh Kalra wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
    > framework is a pre-requiste .

    you got it the wrong way around, the .net framework has Always been a
    pre-requsate for .net applications (you cant have one without the other).

    > So my questions are :-
    >
    > 1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
    > Future OS's ?

    longhorn ships with .net 2.0

    > 2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
    > application .

    i disagree, if you ship on cdrom then put the framework there. if you ship
    via the net then provide a link for your user to download the framework
    from microsoft.

    > is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
    > want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?

    if your customers want to use your application they will install the
    framework - simple as that.

    > Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
    > assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
    > users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
    > desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

    java desktop end user solutions failed because amoungst other things it
    *was* slow and fat.

    http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/

    > 4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
    > it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

    cant answer that one.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, May 7, 2004

  3. Thanks a lot steven

    Tarundeep Singh Kalra, May 7, 2004
  4. Tarundeep Singh Kalra

    CT Guest

    >> 4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework
    >> in
    >> it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

    The .NET Framework 2.0 won't be Windows XP in SP2

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF

    CT, May 7, 2004