Regarding .NET framework requirements

Tarundeep Singh Kalra

Hi,
I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
framework is a pre-requiste .

So my questions are :-

1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
Future OS's ?

2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
application . is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?
Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

3). What is expected time when Longhorn would be released ?

4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

Regards

--
Tarun
Tarundeep Singh Kalra

tarun_at_tarunsadhana_dot_com
visit:
www.tarunsadhana.com

Steven H

Hi,
I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
framework is a pre-requiste .

you got it the wrong way around, the .net framework has Always been a
pre-requsate for .net applications (you cant have one without the other).
So my questions are :-

1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
Future OS's ?

longhorn ships with .net 2.0
2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
application .

i disagree, if you ship on cdrom then put the framework there. if you ship
via the net then provide a link for your user to download the framework
from microsoft.
is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?

if your customers want to use your application they will install the
framework - simple as that.
Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

java desktop end user solutions failed because amoungst other things it
*was* slow and fat.
3). What is expected time when Longhorn would be released ?
http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/

4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

cant answer that one.

CT

4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework
The .NET Framework 2.0 won't be Windows XP in SP2