    Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks

    Regards,
    Ravi

    Ravi Shankar Nair, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Ravi Shankar Nair

    Rhino Guest

    "Ravi Shankar Nair" <> wrote in message
    news:dp3ctu$k1o$...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
    > another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
    > about it ? Any website? Do I need to have an attorney/lawyer on my side?
    > Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks

    I'm not a lawyer but if you aren't familiar with patent law then I doubt
    you'd do a very good job of getting a patent on your own. Unless you do
    things just right, you'll probably find that your patent doesn't stand up in
    court.

    In your situation, I would definitely consult a patent attorney who knows
    the law in the jurisdiction(s) for which you want the patent. I believe
    patents are obtained on a country by country basis so simply getting a
    patent in the US won't necessarily help you in India, for example. Your
    patent attorney can also advise you on what can and what cannot be patented.
    It is entirely possible that your new protocol can't be patented in a given
    jurisdiction because that jurisdiction doesn't give patents on protocols.

    I don't know how things work in your area but here, if I wanted a patent
    attorney, I would consult the Yellow Pages (phone directory) and look under
    lawyers or attorneys. I would expect to find at least a few lawyers who
    specialize in patent law. Another approach that I could take here would be
    to contact the Law Society for this jurisdiction and asked them for a
    referral to a patent lawyer.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Ravi Shankar Nair

    Chris Smith Guest

    Ravi Shankar Nair <> wrote:
    > We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
    > another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
    > about it ?

    Stop being evil.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Ravi Shankar Nair wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
    > another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
    > about it ? Any website? Do I need to have an attorney/lawyer on my side?
    > Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks

    Can you post the code here please?

    Jeffrey Schwab, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Ravi Shankar Nair

    Sanjay Guest