Regarding Patent

Ravi Shankar Nair

Dear all,

We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
about it ? Any website? Do I need to have an attorney/lawyer on my side?
Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks

Regards,
Ravi

Rhino

Ravi Shankar Nair said:
Dear all,

We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
about it ? Any website? Do I need to have an attorney/lawyer on my side?
Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks
I'm not a lawyer but if you aren't familiar with patent law then I doubt
you'd do a very good job of getting a patent on your own. Unless you do
things just right, you'll probably find that your patent doesn't stand up in
court.

In your situation, I would definitely consult a patent attorney who knows
the law in the jurisdiction(s) for which you want the patent. I believe
patents are obtained on a country by country basis so simply getting a
patent in the US won't necessarily help you in India, for example. Your
patent attorney can also advise you on what can and what cannot be patented.
It is entirely possible that your new protocol can't be patented in a given
jurisdiction because that jurisdiction doesn't give patents on protocols.

I don't know how things work in your area but here, if I wanted a patent
attorney, I would consult the Yellow Pages (phone directory) and look under
lawyers or attorneys. I would expect to find at least a few lawyers who
specialize in patent law. Another approach that I could take here would be
to contact the Law Society for this jurisdiction and asked them for a
referral to a patent lawyer.

Rhino

Chris Smith

Ravi Shankar Nair said:
We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
about it ?

Stop being evil.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jeffrey Schwab

Ravi said:
Dear all,

We have developed a custom protocol for moving files from one location to
another. We would like to apply for patent. Can anyone suggest how to go
about it ? Any website? Do I need to have an attorney/lawyer on my side?
Kindly help as we are not aware on how to proceed, thanks

Can you post the code here please?