Regd:Video Converter Programming

Ch3ru5

Hi,
I want to write an avi to flv converter in php but i am a complete
newbie to it.

I would like to know the basic flow of entire process of how a
converter code is written
(ie. the basic algorithm ) .

Example: "You first create an flv stream , then compress the avi code ,
then copy that code into the flv stream created ."

The above flow may or may not be correct but what i want to know is
this flow .

Any good tutorials or resources where i can learn the basics.

Thank You,
Raja.

placid

Ch3ru5 said:
Hi,
I want to write an avi to flv converter in php but i am a complete
newbie to it.

I would like to know the basic flow of entire process of how a
converter code is written
(ie. the basic algorithm ) .

Example: "You first create an flv stream , then compress the avi code ,
then copy that code into the flv stream created ."

The above flow may or may not be correct but what i want to know is
this flow .

Any good tutorials or resources where i can learn the basics.

via a Google search for "python video convert" i found the following

http://pymedia.org/

Cheers

placid

Grant said:
Except he wants to write it in PHP.

Not sure why he's asking us about it here in c.l.python.

well if i see a post on comp.lang.python, then i assume its related to
python and thats what my brain did!

Ch3ru5

HI,
Thanks all for replies . I am sorry for a confusion of the question .
But what i wanted to know is in general in any programming language ,
how you go about writing a video converter .

The basic flow of code . that's it . I will look into the resources in
a particular language of my choice later .
I am not clear as to how to proceed in any language .

Tim Roberts

Ch3ru5 said:
Thanks all for replies . I am sorry for a confusion of the question .
But what i wanted to know is in general in any programming language ,
how you go about writing a video converter .

The problem is that converting between video formats requires LOTS of
manipulation of bitfields: pull 3 bits from here, pull 6 bits from here,
insert 9 bits there. That kind of manipulation is easier in some languages
than in others.

For example, it makes sense in C and C++. It can be done in Python,
although not as efficiently. It would be difficult in PHP.
The basic flow of code . that's it . I will look into the resources in
a particular language of my choice later .

The basic flow depends on what formats you are converting between. To to
MPEG-to-AVI, for instance, you would normally go through the whole MPEG
decompression process to get to a series of bitmaps, then go through the
whole AVI compression process to get a movie.

If you are on Windows, you almost certainly want to use DirectShow to do
this job. There is a DirectShow interface for Python.