Regd XSD Files

karthikbalaguru

Hi,
I was just analyzing tools that generate XSD file
from XML files. I find lot of tools in internet.

1. XSD.exe that comes with Visual Studio
2. Stylus Studio's XSD file generator
3. XSD Interference tool from Microsoft
4. XMLFox Professional
5. Liquid XML Studio (XML Editor reverse
engineering)

Which of the above is best if cost-price is not a
criteria ? If any other tool is better than the tools
listed above, do lemme know.

Are there any free tool for XSD file generation
from XML file ? I searched and got this link
http://www.hitsw.com/xml_utilites/ , But this
supports only DTD and not XML Schema. Which
could be best freeware for XSD file generation from
XML file ? Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Joe Kesselman

The problem is, there are a LOT of possible schemas that can be
generated from any given sample document or set thereof. How precise do
you want the value types/constraints to be? Do you want something to be
able to occur an infinite number of times, or a limited number? Is this
the only sequence in which they may occur?

Tools that will use documents to "validate your schema" -- to help you
check that the schema is OK as you go -- may be useful. Ditto tools to
help generate schema syntax. But I remain convinced that the
schema-from-document generators are strictly a party trick, and not
useful for real-world applications. The goal of a schema is to capture
what *you* know about expected documents, not the limited amount the
machine knows.

--
Joe Kesselman,