Regex question(how easy/hard to do it in ruby)

Sarah Tanembaum

Pointers, please...

I have this text in a comma delimited file with the following
characteristic:

ccc-123456, <multiline data>,

Field number:

1a - its always begin with 1 to 3 characters followed by
a dash, e.g JKL-, A-, NM-, PQ-

1b - after the dash, it follows by numbers starting from

2 - a multiline data with either or both newline chars(\n)
and/or cariage-return char(\r), or both(\r\n). This field
might include special characters such as a
single(') or double(") quote, a space, characters
with ascii number > 127 - accented character,
umlaud, etc ...

3 - this field contain at least 2 line to at most 5 line of
data where each line might be
Begin with 2-3 chars, e.g GH@OPRJGPF1234
followed by an "@", 1-7chars, and followed by
1-4 numbers

My question is :

1a. how to parse the first field(field 1a) so I can manipulate/rename it to
a new label dending on what label they have currently

1b. in field 1b, instead of just 1 number, I'd like to pad
them with leading zero so, 1 -> 000001,
1494 -> 001494, 560987->560987(no change).

2. capture 2nd field and escape the special characters with ascii number

3. capture 3rd field and parse them as well just as field 1.

THanks

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

what exactly do you mean by this? if you want to parse the fields themselves
out use the 'csv' module included with ruby...
1b. in field 1b, instead of just 1 number, I'd like to pad
them with leading zero so, 1 -> 000001,
1494 -> 001494, 560987->560987(no change).

~ > ruby -e 'p(sprintf("%06.6d", 42))'
"000042"

~ > man 3 printf
2. capture 2nd field and escape the special characters with ascii number

esc = '\\'[0]
munged = ''
field_2.each_byte{|c| munged << esc if c > 127; munged << c}
field_2 = munged

you could also use a regex to do this...

special = %r/([#{ 127.chr }-#{ 255.chr })]/o
field_2.gsub!(special){|match| "\\#{ match }"}
3. capture 3rd field and parse them as well just as field 1.

THanks

can you post some sample data? we could probably say more then...

-a