Regional settings in IIS6

Jonathan

Dear All,

I am trying to set a webserver to use French regional settings for testing
ASP pages.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q306044, for IIS5, this is a
matter of changing the regional settings for the authenticated user, and if
this user does not have a user profile then the default regional settings.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be working in IIS6, in that I have
change the default user's settings and I am still getting English dates. Can
anyone tell me if this is because the way IIS chooses its settings has
changed for IIS6 or just because I have done something wrong?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jonathan said:
Dear All,

I am trying to set a webserver to use French regional settings for
testing ASP pages.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q306044, for IIS5, this
is a matter of changing the regional settings for the authenticated
user, and if this user does not have a user profile then the default
regional settings.

You've misread it:
When you use the Now, Date, or Time functions from Active Server Pages
(ASP), the Date and Time formats differ depending on parameters such as the
impersonating user, the authenticating user, the logged-on user, and the
version of the operating system on the server.

NOTE: Unless you specifically impersonate some user, the impersonating user
is the same as the authenticating user. In addition, the logged-on user
refers to the person who is logged on to the server,

In IIS, by default, the authenticating user is the IUSR_MachineName account
(known in some OSs as the Internet Guest Account). When this account is
created, it is created with the default regional settings: US. You can hunt
for the user's entry in the Registry and change it, or see:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2260

Bob Barrows

Jonathan

Sorry, my mistake, although I should have mentioned that I am using Windows
Authentication, in which case I am under the impression that the
authentication user is the same user as the impersonated user. As the user
will never usually have logged onto the computer, I would expect the default
user's regional settings to be used.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No. You need to go back and read the documentation.

I suggest that you not rely on Registry settings which can be changed
without your knowledge. Instead, explicitly set the locale in your
applications using the advice given in the aspfaq article.

Bob Barrows

Jonathan

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your comments.

1)I have reread the IIS6 documentation and it still seems to suggest to me
that the authenticated user is the same as the impersonated user:
"However, when a client request is processed, the thread processing the
request uses a token associated with the client, also know as the
authenticated user's token, during the duration of the request. This is known
as impersonation"

2) I have seen the ASPFAQ article you mention, however I do not want to
simply set the locale, but also be able to customize the exact format used by
the long date and decimal seperator. Is this possible in IIS6?

Jonathan