    On the Mac, \x00AE seems to output \x00C6 (that's what it looks like
    at least).

    Thanks for any tips.

    Brad Tilley, Apr 2, 2011

  2. Brad Tilley

    Nobody Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 07:39:58 -0700, Brad Tilley wrote:

    > Using standard C++ source code that I compile using gcc on Linux/
    > Windows and Mac, the registered trademark symbol \x00AE works
    > everywhere except Mac OS X. The really odd thing is that all the other
    > symbols (copyright, etc.) work fine on all platforms. Has anyone every
    > ran into this and know of a fix for it?
    >
    > \x00A9 (copyright symbol - works fine in C++ source code everywhere)
    > \x00AE (registered trademark - works fine in C++ source code
    > everywhere but Mac OS X)
    >
    > On the Mac, \x00AE seems to output \x00C6 (that's what it looks like
    > at least).

    Something is interpreting the data as being in the MacRoman encoding.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacRoman

    In ISO-8859-1 and Unicode, \xA9 is the copyright symbol, \xAE is the
    registered trademark symbol, \xC6 is upper-case AE ligature.

    In MacRoman, \xA9 is the copyright symbol, \xA8 is the registered
    trademark symbol, \xAE is upper-case AE ligature.

    It's impossible to say where the confusion lies because you don't provide
    any information about how the data actually appears in the code or
    what you're doing with it.

    Nobody, Apr 3, 2011