Registering onclick of a programatically created button

CyberMan_(MCDST!)

Hi,
I programmatically create a/some buttons:

private TableCell GenerateButtonInCell(XmlNode NodeItem)
{
Button ChoosePlanButton = new Button();
ChoosePlanButton.CommandArgument = NodeItem.OuterXml;
ChoosePlanButton.UseSubmitBehavior = false;
ChoosePlanButton.ToolTip = "Request this plan";
ChoosePlanButton.Text = String.Concat("Apply");
TableCell InnerTableCell = new TableCell();
InnerTableCell.Controls.Add(ChoosePlanButton);
return InnerTableCell;
}

I attach it/them all to the same handler:

void ChoosePlanButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
//PERSIST THE CHOSEN PLANS ATTRIBUTES TO VIEWSTATE
Button temp = (Button)sender;
ViewState.Add("ChosenPlan", temp.CommandArgument);

}

then I try to register them pre page render thus:

if (ChoosePlanButton != null)
{ ChoosePlanButton.Click += new
EventHandler(ChoosePlanButton_Click); }

base.OnInit(e);

}

but obviously I cant reference the ChoosePlanButton instance outside the
method.

How do accomplish this?

Many thanks.

Misbah Arefin

you could simply register the event/handler in your GenerateButtonInCell
function

CyberMan_(MCDST)_nuub

I tried that, it doesnt get called...

Perhaps I am missing something obvious???

I will try it again.

Scott Roberts

You will need to ensure that the dynamic button(s) and click event
handler(s) are re-created *before* the event processing stage of the page
lifecycle. I believe that the recommended event it Page_PreInit.

Note that although it may not be completely intuitive (to me, at least) you
must "re-hook" the event handler on postback in order for it to fire.