Registration page for Corporate Event/Forum

blantz

I am fairly new with ASP.NET and have been asked to make a
Registration page in VB using an Access database which includes

company info
attendee info
which sessions they are attending
how many nights in the hotel, etc

My problem is that multiple people from a company may be attending and
i'm wondering what the best way to handle this is. My initial thought
was to have several hidden panels and when they added another
attendee, make one panel visible for the attendee info, sessions
attending, etc.

The problem is how do i structure the INSERT statement because it has
to insert the company info and attendee info for each of the visible
panels? So if there were only attendee, the INSERT statement would be
simple, but when there is another attendee, would you build the INSERT
statement dynamically?

If there is a better soulution to this problem, please advise. Should
i look into a DataGrid to handle this?

Thanks in advance...

lantz

Guest

I am not sure what you are trying to do here. Can you reword this some
how..or give us like a senario of the registration process

Guest

Blantz,

If you are going to do it this way, then yes, you will have to build the
insert statement dynamically. I would just iterate through the number of
attendees and insert them one at a time.

You could simplfy this by having them submit one attendee and then ask if
they want to submit another one, if so then reload the page while remembering
the values they used before except the personal information.

You could actually get pretty crazy with this form and ask a bunch of
qualifying questions before they can enter data, like:

1. How many people will be attending? (if you know this, you can display
the correct number of form fields)
2. Will all these people be staying at the same hotel? (if you know this you
can retain they hotel values so they won't have to enter them again)
3.Etc.

In general the more you know about what the person will be entering the
better. It will help youu build the correct solution and in most cases help
simplify your code and make the form more user friendly.

I would probably ask how many people will be attending and then dynamically
show the proper number of text boxes, then I might build a registration
object and save each one to the database.

My 2 cents worth!

SkyHi