    it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few things,
    but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files with nothing.

    John Salerno, Jan 28, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    Els Guest

    John Salerno wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how I can search for the phrase:
    >
    > Function -
    >
    > (Has spaces before and after the hyphen)
    >
    > I'm using UltraEdit, and when I type it in just like that, it can't find
    > it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few things,
    > but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    > Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files with nothing.

    Have you tried just doing a copy paste from your file into the
    search/replace box? Sometimes that tells you for instance that the
    space is a tab. Have you tried unticking the 'regular expression' box
    in the search/replace area? (I don't have UltraEdit, but those are the
    things I'd try in TextPad)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jan 28, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Els wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me how I can search for the phrase:
    >>
    >> Function -
    >>
    >> (Has spaces before and after the hyphen)
    >>
    >> I'm using UltraEdit, and when I type it in just like that, it can't find
    >> it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few things,
    >> but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    >> Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files with nothing.

    > Have you tried just doing a copy paste from your file into the
    > search/replace box? Sometimes that tells you for instance that the
    > space is a tab. Have you tried unticking the 'regular expression' box
    > in the search/replace area? (I don't have UltraEdit, but those are the
    > things I'd try in TextPad)

    Thanks. The copy/paste trick worked, but it turns out that what *wasn't*
    working was the option to replace the string in all open files. When I
    chose to do it in just the current file, it worked, so maybe it's an
    UltraEdit issue.

    John Salerno, Jan 28, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    Stan McCann Guest

    John Salerno <> wrote in

    > Can someone tell me how I can search for the phrase:
    >
    > Function -
    >
    > (Has spaces before and after the hyphen)
    >
    > I'm using UltraEdit, and when I type it in just like that, it can't
    > find it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few
    > things, but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it
    > right. Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files
    > with nothing.

    Yep, Select Regular Expressions and 'function *-*(*)*' should give you
    what you want. (untested)

    Another UE user.
    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Jan 28, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:
    > John Salerno <> wrote in
    >
    >> Can someone tell me how I can search for the phrase:
    >>
    >> Function -
    >>
    >> (Has spaces before and after the hyphen)
    >>
    >> I'm using UltraEdit, and when I type it in just like that, it can't
    >> find it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few
    >> things, but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it
    >> right. Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files
    >> with nothing.

    > Yep, Select Regular Expressions and 'function *-*(*)*' should give you
    > what you want. (untested)
    >
    > Another UE user.

    Hmmm, weird. Function*-* only found "Function -" without the trailing
    space. But when I typed in just "Function - " (no quotes) and checked
    Regular Expressions, then it found the whole thing.

    Oh well, I still think UE is great! :)

    John Salerno, Jan 29, 2006
  6. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > If you get a Mac and BBEdit or TextWrangler you will have no trouble
    > over such simple issues...

    Yes, ok, I will buy a Mac just so I can do a search and replace.

    John Salerno, Feb 9, 2006
  7. In article <fCIGf.1588$>,
    John Salerno <> wrote:
    >dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> If you get a Mac and BBEdit or TextWrangler you will have no trouble
    >> over such simple issues...

    >Yes, ok, I will buy a Mac just so I can do a search and replace.

    Come for the search and replace, stay for the lack of blue screen of death
    and viruses.

    1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

    Richard Sexton, Feb 9, 2006
  8. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Richard Sexton wrote:

    > Come for the search and replace, stay for the lack of blue screen of death
    > and viruses.

    Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a problem with either of these in
    the 10+ years I've used computers. Maybe it's just been so long since
    I've seen the blue screen that I've forgotten what it looks like.

    And as for viruses, if you're smart enough, you won't get them. Not to
    mention that probably the biggest reason that viruses are more of a
    problem on PCs than Macs is simply because PCs are far more prevalent,
    so viruses target them more. Even if Macs are inherently better
    protected, people could still create viruses for them if they wanted to.
    So trying to get everyone to convert to Macs only seems to hurt the case
    of "we have no viruses." :)

    John Salerno, Feb 9, 2006
  9. In article <OEKGf.1593$>,
    John Salerno <> wrote:
    >Richard Sexton wrote:
    >
    >> Come for the search and replace, stay for the lack of blue screen of death
    >> and viruses.

    >Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a problem with either of these in
    >the 10+ years I've used computers. Maybe it's just been so long since
    >I've seen the blue screen that I've forgotten what it looks like.
    >
    >And as for viruses, if you're smart enough, you won't get them. Not to
    >mention that probably the biggest reason that viruses are more of a
    >problem on PCs than Macs is simply because PCs are far more prevalent,
    >so viruses target them more. Even if Macs are inherently better
    >protected, people could still create viruses for them if they wanted to.
    >So trying to get everyone to convert to Macs only seems to hurt the case
    >of "we have no viruses." :)

    I used to say this too. I've used Windows since version 1.0. No kidding;
    although my work is primarily c/unix I've had to use Windows forever.

    Until XP I found windows annoying but mosty usable. Now, keep in mind
    I'm on a dialup line here at home where I work; my servers are in
    another city in another country.

    I live far enough away from civilization that dialup is the only
    option, period and on a good day I get 28.8. I've never got higher
    than that with any modem. There's a 4 db loss between here and the CO.

    So, I tried XP. Seems nice for a chnage, but once a month it would
    shit itself. SP2? Check. MS anit-spyware ? check. AV? check? Zone
    alarm ? Check. Windows update on? Check.

    The damn thing spent so much time updating itself
    I was lucky to be able to use 75% of my bandwidth.

    And it still got infected. I'm not sure on dialup it can update
    itself fast enough.

    I've written Windowss device drivers for several graphics and
    scsi cards. I think I know what I'm doing. But I don't have hours
    a day to waste trying to keep it on the air. Meanwhile the mac
    somebody gave me as a joke seems to jsut work and doesn't waste
    my time. Perhapos one day it will be a problem too, but at the
    end of the day I get paid to write C, not unfuck a lame OS.

    I'm gad there are people that can use it and keep it on the
    air. Much to my own amazement, I am not one of them. Whateever.

    I still have an XP box here dor video work but I will not connect
    it to the internet. Hot swap SCA is my friend. I use W98 to
    connect windows to the net where I need to but I'm phasing
    out all MS software here. It just doesn't work.

    1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

    Richard Sexton, Feb 9, 2006
  10. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    John Salerno <> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how I can search for the phrase:
    >
    > Function -
    >
    > (Has spaces before and after the hyphen)
    >
    > I'm using UltraEdit, and when I type it in just like that, it can't find
    > it, so I may have to use Regular Expressions. I've tried a few things,
    > but they didn't work either, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    > Basically I want to replace that text in a bunch of files with nothing.

    Search text in what? The actual article open? All articles in a
    folder? Using built in search and replace? If your Find and
    Replace function has a GREP option, you sometimes need to to turn
    this off. Basically I am saying, need more details of what is
    going on that you can see at your end. You might need to take a
    closer look a your preferences (options), to take care of spaces
    (these are important in searches). The program may be corrupt. If

    dorayme, Feb 9, 2006
  11. John Salerno

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Richard Sexton quothed:

    > In article <OEKGf.1593$>,
    > John Salerno <> wrote:
    > >Richard Sexton wrote:
    > >
    > >> Come for the search and replace, stay for the lack of blue screen of death
    > >> and viruses.

    > >Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a problem with either of these in
    > >the 10+ years I've used computers. Maybe it's just been so long since
    > >I've seen the blue screen that I've forgotten what it looks like.
    > >
    > >And as for viruses, if you're smart enough, you won't get them. Not to
    > >mention that probably the biggest reason that viruses are more of a
    > >problem on PCs than Macs is simply because PCs are far more prevalent,
    > >so viruses target them more. Even if Macs are inherently better
    > >protected, people could still create viruses for them if they wanted to.
    > >So trying to get everyone to convert to Macs only seems to hurt the case
    > >of "we have no viruses." :)

    > I used to say this too. I've used Windows since version 1.0. No kidding;
    > although my work is primarily c/unix I've had to use Windows forever.
    >
    > Until XP I found windows annoying but mosty usable. Now, keep in mind
    > I'm on a dialup line here at home where I work; my servers are in
    > another city in another country.
    >
    > I live far enough away from civilization that dialup is the only
    > option, period and on a good day I get 28.8. I've never got higher
    > than that with any modem. There's a 4 db loss between here and the CO.
    >
    > So, I tried XP. Seems nice for a chnage, but once a month it would
    > shit itself. SP2? Check. MS anit-spyware ? check. AV? check? Zone
    > alarm ? Check. Windows update on? Check.
    >
    > The damn thing spent so much time updating itself
    > I was lucky to be able to use 75% of my bandwidth.
    >
    > And it still got infected. I'm not sure on dialup it can update
    > itself fast enough.
    >
    > I've written Windowss device drivers for several graphics and
    > scsi cards. I think I know what I'm doing. But I don't have hours
    > a day to waste trying to keep it on the air. Meanwhile the mac
    > somebody gave me as a joke seems to jsut work and doesn't waste
    > my time. Perhapos one day it will be a problem too, but at the
    > end of the day I get paid to write C, not unfuck a lame OS.
    >
    > I'm gad there are people that can use it and keep it on the
    > air. Much to my own amazement, I am not one of them. Whateever.
    >
    > I still have an XP box here dor video work but I will not connect
    > it to the internet. Hot swap SCA is my friend. I use W98 to
    > connect windows to the net where I need to but I'm phasing
    > out all MS software here. It just doesn't work.

    Yes, I agree, that automatic-update parasite on XP was a BAAAAAAADD
    idea. -As are most things that ultimately take control away from the
    user.

    Interestingly, though, I'll take IE6's javascript performance over the
    current Gecko's. It just works better. -And Opera? Hah!

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 9, 2006
  12. John Salerno

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, John Salerno quothed:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > If you get a Mac and BBEdit or TextWrangler you will have no trouble
    > > over such simple issues...

    > Yes, ok, I will buy a Mac just so I can do a search and replace.

    Uh, if you have that much money, why not just hire someone who knows
    what he's doing to make your web pages for you?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 9, 2006
  13. In article <>,
    >Yes, I agree, that automatic-update parasite on XP was a BAAAAAAADD
    >idea. -As are most things that ultimately take control away from the
    >user.

    Hey I was fine with jumpers. Plug and pray is dodgy. I had no problems installing
    my own drivers. My computer deciding to do things to "help" me when I didn't
    ask for help is alarming, intrusive and unproductive.

    >Interestingly, though, I'll take IE6's javascript performance over the
    >current Gecko's. It just works better. -And Opera? Hah!

    That's what I love about browers. IE is better except where it's wrong, Opera
    is better and faster except whee it doesn't work. Firefox is trensy but apart
    from that I see no reason to use it.

    Doesn't matter to me, stuff has to work in all 3, period. I use Opera because
    I can get my work done faster with it than any other browser.

    1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

    Richard Sexton, Feb 10, 2006
  14. John Salerno

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Richard Sexton quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > >Yes, I agree, that automatic-update parasite on XP was a BAAAAAAADD
    > >idea. -As are most things that ultimately take control away from the
    > >user.

    > Hey I was fine with jumpers. Plug and pray is dodgy. I had no problems installing
    > my own drivers. My computer deciding to do things to "help" me when I didn't
    > ask for help is alarming, intrusive and unproductive.
    >
    > >Interestingly, though, I'll take IE6's javascript performance over the
    > >current Gecko's. It just works better. -And Opera? Hah!

    > That's what I love about browers. IE is better except where it's wrong, Opera
    > is better and faster except whee it doesn't work. Firefox is trensy but apart
    > from that I see no reason to use it.
    >
    > Doesn't matter to me, stuff has to work in all 3, period. I use Opera because
    > I can get my work done faster with it than any other browser.

    He he, yeah, I think we agree. I use Mozilla, though (-not ff), for
    its, uh, charisma.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 10, 2006
  15. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, John Salerno quothed:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you get a Mac and BBEdit or TextWrangler you will have no trouble
    >>> over such simple issues...

    >> Yes, ok, I will buy a Mac just so I can do a search and replace.

    > Uh, if you have that much money, why not just hire someone who knows
    > what he's doing to make your web pages for you?

    sarcasm? i hope so, because mine was....

    John Salerno, Feb 10, 2006
  16. John Salerno

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, John Salerno quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, John Salerno quothed:

    > >> Yes, ok, I will buy a Mac just so I can do a search and replace.

    > > Uh, if you have that much money, why not just hire someone who knows
    > > what he's doing to make your web pages for you?
    > >

    > sarcasm? i hope so, because mine was....

    Exactly! <grin> That's why I posted in such a plebeian manner.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 10, 2006