regular expression question (re module)

Faheem Mitha

Hi,

I need to match a string of the form

capital_letter underscore capital_letter number

against a string of the form

anything capital_letter underscore capital_letter number
some_stuff_not_starting with a number

Eg D_A1 needs to match with DUKE00001_plateD_A1.CEL, but not any of
DUKE00001_plateD_A10.CEL, Duke00001_PlateD_A11v2.CEL,
DUKE00001_plateD_A12.CEL.

Similarly D_A10 needs to match DUKE00001_plateD_A10.CEL, but not any
of DUKE00001_plateD_A1.CEL, Duke00001_PlateD_A11v2.CEL,
DUKE00001_plateD_A12.CEL.

Similarly D_A11 needs to match Duke00001_PlateD_A11v2.CEL, but not any
of DUKE00001_plateD_A1.CEL, DUKE00001_plateD_A10.CEL,
DUKE00001_plateD_A12.CEL.

Thanks in advance. Please cc me with any reply.
Faheem.

bearophileHUGS

Faheem Mitha:
I need to match a string of the form

Please, show the code you have written so far, with your input-output
examples included (as doctests, for example), and we can try to find
ways to help you remove the bugs you have.

Bye,
bearophile

Steve Holden

Pat said:
While I can't provide you with an answer, I can say that I've been using
RegExBuddy (for Windows, about $40, 90 day money back guarantee,
http://www.regexbuddy.com/) for quite a few months now and it's greatly
helped me with creating/learning/debugging regexps. You put in your
regexp in the top field and all the possibilities in the bottom field.
Whatever matches is instantly highlighted. You keep modifying your RE
until only the correct matches are highlighted. Talk about instant
gratification! No, I'm in no way affiliated with this company.

There's also a free *IX version that's quite similar to RegExBuddy but I
don't have the name since I'm writing this while on a Windows platform.
Or you could use the Kodos tool, written in Python and well worth a
trial since it's free. Google is, as always, your friend in locating it.

regards
Steve

Pat