Regular Expression Use in Password Recovery Control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by EagleRed@HighFlyingBirds.com, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application that is using Forms Authentication and the
    SQL Server 2005 membership provider. I am using the password recovery
    control to allow users to recover passwords. (The passwords are stored in
    hashed form.) I noticed that the passwords that are generated do not fit the
    regular expression that is supplied in the web.config file. They can be too
    long and can contain disallowed characters. For example, the max. length in
    my regular expression validator is 12 characters and the password returned
    contained 14 characters.

    As a consequence when the password is used in subsequent operations the
    regular expression validators reject it. (Not pretty for my users.)

    What is happening here? What are some reasonable remedies? The password is
    already set in the aspnet_Membership table the uses can be stuck? I have
    checked the documentation on the Membership.GeneratePassword method and I see
    I need to change the regular expression to accept the characters in that
    method. The only thing that is not specified is the maximum length of the
    password this method generates. What is that value?

    , Apr 1, 2006