Regular expressions: Find part of a string

Jermaine

Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new to regular expressions, and I'm looking for a way to
find the first 3 letters in a string.

So let's say I have the following string: "foobar", I want to know
what the first three letters of this string is (in this case it's
foo).

What is the regex to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Joel VanderWerf

Jermaine said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new to regular expressions, and I'm looking for a way to
find the first 3 letters in a string.

So let's say I have the following string: "foobar", I want to know
what the first three letters of this string is (in this case it's
foo).

What is the regex to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

p "foobar"[/.../]
# simplest

p "foobar"[/\A.../]
# \A anchors to beginning of string, which is
# same as above for this regex

p "foobar"[/.{3,3}/]
# accepts between 3 and 3 chars

Matthew K. Williams

You could use regex for this, but if you just want the first three
characters, why not use the substring?

s="foobar"
s[0,3]

Using regex, you could do something like:
"foobar".match(/^.../).to_s

Matt

--
"... if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of
track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life

Jermaine

[...]

Great stuff. Very simple and concise, worked out great for me.
Thanks guys!