    expression patterns. I found it quite helpful for visualizing regex's,
    especially while learning them.

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/UsersGuide/rg/
    Jim, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Jim

    Une bévue Guest

    Une bévue, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Works here[1]. What is your $TERM set at?

    [1] After changing:
    str.gsub! re, "#{st}\\&#{en}" to
    str.gsub!(/#{re}/, "#{st}\\&#{en}") # gsub takes a string /or/ =20
    regular-expression

    Daniel Harple, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Jim

    Une bévue Guest

    Daniel Harple <> wrote:

    > str.gsub!(/#{re}/, "#{st}\\&#{en}")

    thanks, right now i get reverse video for match.

    i'm sure my Terminal works with ansi colors because recently i've tried
    xml-smart "xpath_visual.rb" with term-ansicolor-0.0.4.

    see for example <http://cjoint.com/data/bhvDrQHhrH.htm>
    --
    une bévue
    Une bévue, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Jim wrote:

    > The Ruby User's Guide has a small script to highlight regular
    > expression patterns. I found it quite helpful for visualizing regex's,
    > especially while learning them.
    >
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/UsersGuide/rg/

    There's also a small tool (GUI) bundled with Ruby Development Tools for
    Eclipse that does just that. Quite useful.

    Vladimir Agafonkin, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Jim

    Gene Tani Guest

    Vladimir Agafonkin wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    > > The Ruby User's Guide has a small script to highlight regular
    > > expression patterns. I found it quite helpful for visualizing regex's,
    > > especially while learning them.
    > >
    > > http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/UsersGuide/rg/

    > There's also a small tool (GUI) bundled with Ruby Development Tools for
    > Eclipse that does just that. Quite useful.

    some other things that might help
    http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/
    http://samuelfullman.com/team/php/tools/regular_expression_tester_p2.php
    http://www.regular-expressions.info/python.html

    but i think best is Friedl's Oreilly regular expression book
    Gene Tani, Jan 8, 2006
  7. Jim

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:08:11PM +0900, Gene Tani wrote:

    > Vladimir Agafonkin wrote:
    > > Jim wrote:
    > >
    > > > The Ruby User's Guide has a small script to highlight regular
    > > > expression patterns. I found it quite helpful for visualizing regex's,
    > > > especially while learning them.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/UsersGuide/rg/

    > > There's also a small tool (GUI) bundled with Ruby Development Tools for
    > > Eclipse that does just that. Quite useful.
    > >
    > > --

    > some other things that might help
    > http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/
    > http://samuelfullman.com/team/php/tools/regular_expression_tester_p2.php
    > http://www.regular-expressions.info/python.html

    The clearest explanation I recall seeing was . . . I think it was
    chapter seven in Learning Perl (I have 2nd Ed.: later editions might
    have it in a different chapter for all I know). Yes, I know, it's Perl
    and not Ruby -- but that doesn't mean it's not useful knowledge.

    Chad Perrin, Jan 9, 2006
  8. ------=_Part_10374_32530333.1136811773542

    There is an excellent book from O'Reilly -
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex2/
    I've read it and it is by far and large the best regex tutorial available.

    "Mastering Regular Expressions, Second Edition"

    By Jeffrey E. F. Friedl
    Second Edition July 2002
    ISBN: 0-596-00289-0

    Full Description

    Regular expressions are an extremely powerful tool for manipulating text an=
    data. They have spread like wildfire in recent years, now offered as
    standard features in Perl, Java, VB.NET and C# (and any language using the
    NET Framework), PHP, Python, Ruby, Tcl, MySQL, awk, Emacs, and many other
    popular tools and languages.

    If you don't use regular expressions yet, you will discover in this book a
    whole new world of mastery over your data. If you already use them, you'll
    appreciate this book's unprecedented detail and breadth of coverage. If you
    think you know all you need to know about regular expressions, this book is
    a stunning eye-opener.

    In spite their wide availability, flexibility, and unparalleled power,
    regular expressions are frequently underutilized. Regular expressions allow
    you to code complex and subtle text processing that you never imagined coul=
    be automated. Regular expressions can save you time and aggravation. They
    can be used to craft elegant solutions to a wide range of problems.

    A command of regular expressions is an invaluable skill. Yet what is power
    in the hands of an expert can be fraught with peril for the unwary.
    Mastering Regular Expressions will help you navigate the minefield to
    becoming an expert. Once you've mastered regular expressions, they'll becom=
    an invaluable part of your toolkit. You will wonder how you ever got by
    without them.

    Mastering Regular Expressions, Second Edition has been thoroughly updated t=
    include all the new features of Perl 5.8, as well as several other
    languages, including Java, VB.NET, C#, Python, JavaScript, Tcl, and Ruby.
    Written in the lucid, entertaining tone that made a complex, dry topic
    crystal-clear to thousands of programmers, and sprinkled with solutions to
    complex real-world problems, Mastering Regular Expressions offers a wealth
    information that you can put to immediate use.

    Topics include:

    A comparison of features among different versions of many languages and
    tools

    How the regular expression engine works

    Optimization (major savings available here!)

    Matching just what you want, but not what you don't want

    Sections and chapters on individual languages

    ------=_Part_10374_32530333.1136811773542--
    Matthew Stott, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Matthew Stott, Jan 9, 2006