    --
    Rove Monteux
    Systems Administrator

    Rove Monteux, Jan 23, 2004

  2. "Rove Monteux" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Sorry for posting this one on the list. Anyone has any documentation/URL
    > of a beginner to advanced Regular Expressions on Ruby with examples and
    > all ?

    There's a bit on the Wiki:

    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HomePage

    Search for "regular expression" and "regularexpression"

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Rove Monteux

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Rove Monteux wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:32:55 +0900
    > From: Rove Monteux <>
    > Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
    > Subject: Regular Expressions
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Sorry for posting this one on the list. Anyone has any documentation/URL
    > of a beginner to advanced Regular Expressions on Ruby with examples and
    > all ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    >
    > Rove Monteux

    get the oreily regex book. it's one of their best books.

    -a
    --

    ATTN: please update your address books with address below!

    Ara.T.Howard, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Rove Monteux

    Sam Roberts Guest

    Quoteing , on Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:04:57AM +0900:
    > > Sorry for posting this one on the list. Anyone has any documentation/URL
    > > of a beginner to advanced Regular Expressions on Ruby with examples and
    > > all ?

    > get the oreily regex book. it's one of their best books.

    I heartily second that. Let me rave about the book! :)

    Some O'Reilly books are canonical on their subject, and some are fluff.

    Its amazing to compare "Mastering Regular Expressions" with "Programming
    Web Services with XML-RPC".

    I picked the first up off a coworkers shelf out of curiousity, thinking
    I knew regular expressions fairly well, and wondering how anybody could
    possibly devote a whole book to it. It blew my mind. I haven't even come
    close to reading and understanding it all, and I still learned how to do
    things I didn't even know were possible.

    The XML-RPC book, on the other hand, describes all of XML-RPC (the
    protocol) in a single chapter, its that simple, and then consists of a
    handful of sample apps in a few different languages.

    All of which is fine, except it was about the same size and slightly
    more expensive the the RegEx book! It should have been published in the
    pocket reference format for half the price, and an eighth of the
    physical weight. It has less info in it than the "Objective-C Pocket
    Reference", which is a brilliant and concise little work.

    Speaking of O'Reilly, they make a great Lex and Yacc book, or used to.

    Sam

    Sam Roberts, Jan 23, 2004
  5. [OT] Re: Regular Expressions

    * Ara.T.Howard <> [Jan, 23 2004 17:20]:
    > --
    >
    > ATTN: please update your address books with address below!

    > | EMAIL :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
    > | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    > | ADDRESS :: E/GC2 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305-3328
    > | STP :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
    > | NGDC :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/
    > | NESDIS :: http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/
    > | NOAA :: http://www.noaa.gov/
    > | US DOC :: http://www.commerce.gov/
    > |
    > | The difference between art and science is that science is what we
    > | understand well enough to explain to a computer.
    > | Art is everything else.
    > | -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
    > |
    > | /bin/sh -c 'for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done'

    I don't want to whine, but you don't think this signature is a bit much?
    OK, so you work for the government, do we really need to know all of
    your branch's urls? And, as much as I appreciate a Knuth quote, perhaps
    having an url with a collection of ones appreciated would be better?
    nikolai

    --
    ::: name: Nikolai Weibull :: aliases: pcp / lone-star / aka :::
    ::: born: Chicago, IL USA :: loc atm: Gothenburg, Sweden :::

    Nikolai Weibull, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Rove Monteux

    Rove Monteux Guest

    Hi,

    Yes, I own the Lex & Yacc book from Oreily, fairly good may say so. Will
    have a look on the regex book, Im coming from java to ruby, still used
    to the String.indexOf and .lastIndexOf type of thing, regex a whole new
    world to me :)

    Thanks !

    Rove Monteux

    --
    Rove Monteux
    Systems Administrator

    Rove Monteux, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Rove Monteux wrote:
    > Sorry for posting this one on the list. Anyone has any documentation/URL
    > of a beginner to advanced Regular Expressions on Ruby with examples and
    > all ?

    Although not specific to the Ruby language, the JS introduction to
    RegExp is rather good, and shares almost exactly the same syntax.

    (long url ahead, watch for undesired line breaks)

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...js56reconIntroductionToRegularExpressions.asp

    --
    (-, /\ \/ / /\/

    Gavin Kistner, Jan 24, 2004

    When posting a long url, give http://www.tinyurl.com/ a try. That URL for example can also be: http://tinyurl.com/yw7xg

    Michael campbell, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Status of qurl.org? (Was: Regular Expressions)

    Hi!

    * Michael campbell:
    > When posting a long url, give http://www.tinyurl.com/ a try. That
    > URL for example can also be: http://tinyurl.com/yw7xg

    Does anybody know what has happened to qurl.org? I recently tried to
    make a shorter link for

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwor...-lnxw03ArtWriting&S_TACT=103AMW38&S_CMP=DVCHL

    which I did copy and paste from the browser. For some unknown reason
    I got the well-known 'What kind of URL is that, dumbass?'. I did
    report that issue to freaky(a)qurl.net but didn't get a response so
    far :-<

    I prefer qurl.org for two reasons: The URL is shorter and - it is
    powered by Ruby.

    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
    --
    http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/ - German comp.lang.ruby-FAQ
    http://rubyforge.org/users/jupp/ - Ruby projects at Rubyforge

    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Re: Status of qurl.org? (Was: Regular Expressions)

    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > * Michael campbell:
    >
    >>When posting a long url, give http://www.tinyurl.com/ a try. That
    >>URL for example can also be: http://tinyurl.com/yw7xg

    > Does anybody know what has happened to qurl.org? I recently tried to
    > make a shorter link for
    >
    > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwor...-lnxw03ArtWriting&S_TACT=103AMW38&S_CMP=DVCHL
    >
    > which I did copy and paste from the browser. For some unknown reason
    > I got the well-known 'What kind of URL is that, dumbass?'. I did
    > report that issue to freaky(a)qurl.net but didn't get a response so
    > far :-<
    >
    > I prefer qurl.org for two reasons: The URL is shorter and - it is
    > powered by Ruby.

    www.tinyurl.com seems to be up and running, however.

    I voiced this exact fear in August. ruby-talk:80351

    Michael campbell, Jan 25, 2004