Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:32:55 +0900
From: Rove Monteux <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
Subject: Regular Expressions

Hi there,

Sorry for posting this one on the list. Anyone has any documentation/URL
of a beginner to advanced Regular Expressions on Ruby with examples and
all ?

Thanks !

Rove Monteux

get the oreily regex book. it's one of their best books.

-a
--

ATTN: please update your address books with address below!

| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| STP :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
| NGDC :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/
| NESDIS :: http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/
| NOAA :: http://www.noaa.gov/
| US DOC :: http://www.commerce.gov/
|
| The difference between art and science is that science is what we
| understand well enough to explain to a computer.
| Art is everything else.
| -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
|
| /bin/sh -c 'for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done'

Sam Roberts

Quoteing (e-mail address removed), on Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:04:57AM +0900:
get the oreily regex book. it's one of their best books.

I heartily second that. Let me rave about the book! :)

Some O'Reilly books are canonical on their subject, and some are fluff.

Its amazing to compare "Mastering Regular Expressions" with "Programming
Web Services with XML-RPC".

I picked the first up off a coworkers shelf out of curiousity, thinking
I knew regular expressions fairly well, and wondering how anybody could
possibly devote a whole book to it. It blew my mind. I haven't even come
close to reading and understanding it all, and I still learned how to do
things I didn't even know were possible.

The XML-RPC book, on the other hand, describes all of XML-RPC (the
protocol) in a single chapter, its that simple, and then consists of a
handful of sample apps in a few different languages.

All of which is fine, except it was about the same size and slightly
more expensive the the RegEx book! It should have been published in the
pocket reference format for half the price, and an eighth of the
physical weight. It has less info in it than the "Objective-C Pocket
Reference", which is a brilliant and concise little work.

Speaking of O'Reilly, they make a great Lex and Yacc book, or used to.

Sam

Nikolai Weibull

* Ara.T.Howard said:
--

ATTN: please update your address books with address below!

| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| STP :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
| NGDC :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/
| NESDIS :: http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/
| NOAA :: http://www.noaa.gov/
| US DOC :: http://www.commerce.gov/
|
| The difference between art and science is that science is what we
| understand well enough to explain to a computer.
| Art is everything else.
| -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
|
| /bin/sh -c 'for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done'

I don't want to whine, but you don't think this signature is a bit much?
OK, so you work for the government, do we really need to know all of
your branch's urls? And, as much as I appreciate a Knuth quote, perhaps
having an url with a collection of ones appreciated would be better?
nikolai

Rove Monteux

Hi,

Yes, I own the Lex & Yacc book from Oreily, fairly good may say so. Will
have a look on the regex book, Im coming from java to ruby, still used
to the String.indexOf and .lastIndexOf type of thing, regex a whole new
world to me :)

Thanks !

Rove Monteux

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

* Michael campbell:
When posting a long url, give http://www.tinyurl.com/ a try. That
URL for example can also be: http://tinyurl.com/yw7xg

Does anybody know what has happened to qurl.org? I recently tried to
make a shorter link for

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwor...-lnxw03ArtWriting&S_TACT=103AMW38&S_CMP=DVCHL

which I did copy and paste from the browser. For some unknown reason
I got the well-known 'What kind of URL is that, dumbass?'. I did
report that issue to freaky(a)qurl.net but didn't get a response so
far :-<

I prefer qurl.org for two reasons: The URL is shorter and - it is