RegularExpression for filtering unwanted e-mail address

Sjaakie

Not sure if I this belongs in this group or a Regex-group, but since it
involves a WebControl I'll give it a try here.

I want to block hotmail, yahoo and gmail addresses when typed into a
TextBox control. Figured this could be done using a
RegularExpressionValidator control, but I can't compose a valid
expression to achieve this. Maybe you can help me out?

I used the standard e-mail validation expression, and tried to alter it
to filter Hotmail addresses. The expression below is incorrect...

\w+(-+.]\w+)*@(\w+!hotmail)([-/]\w+)*\.\w+(-.]\w+)*

TIA

raghav

Hiii

<asp:RegularExpressionValidator
id="xyz" runat="server"
ErrorMessage="Message."

ValidationExpression="^(([a-zA-Z]:)|(\\{2}\w+)\$?)(\\(\w[\w].*))(.doc|.rtf|.txt)$"

ControlToValidate="Message"></asp:RegularExpressionValidator>

Try with this, See u want to block yahoo, gmail etc etc. In the other
way round, specify only those domains u need, for eg: abc.com.It will
automatically block other domains not specified.
In the sample above replace .doc, .rtf,.txt with domains u need.

U can also give alert by using javascript.

Best Wishes
Raghav Mahajan

Sjaakie

Raghav,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm looking for an expression that fails if a
certain domain name is matched. If I use your approach I'll have to add
almost every domainname on the net just to block hotmail.com, yahoo.com
and gmail.com.

raghav schreef:
[...]

Fine i agree with u. My method will not be efficient if its many
domains.U can give alert by using java script. that is, if its equal to
yahoo.com or gmail.com, generate alert..

or try this:

ControlToValidate="to"
ValidationExpression=".*@yahoo.com*\..*"
ErrorInfo="<small>Invalid email address.</small>"
Display="Dynamic">
</asp:RegularExpressionValidator>

Hope this works, I am still doing R&D in google, if i find something
much better, i will post. U first try this for yahoo.com. If it works
for yahoo, we will add other domains like gmail etc etc...

Cheers
Raghav

raghav schreef:
[...]

ValidationExpression=".6a.6\..6"

after posting it did display properly, so writing again

in above string replace
6 with------------->*(asteric)
a with-------------->@(at)
just after a write yahoo.com and becareful with .(dot) marks, no space
try it

raghav said:
[...]

Hiii

Sjaakie wrote:
Not sure if I this belongs in this group or a Regex-group, but since it
involves a WebControl I'll give it a try here.

I want to block hotmail, yahoo and gmail addresses when typed into a
TextBox control. Figured this could be done using a
RegularExpressionValidator control, but I can't compose a valid
expression to achieve this. Maybe you can help me out?

I used the standard e-mail validation expression, and tried to alter it
to filter Hotmail addresses. The expression below is incorrect...

\w+(-+.]\w+)*@(\w+!hotmail)([-/]\w+)*\.\w+(-.]\w+)*

TIA

Raghav,
I finally managed to write an expression that detects hotmail, yahoo and
gmail addresses:

..*@(?!hotmail)(?!gmail)(?!yahoo).*

Thanks for your help!

raghav

Hii
Thats really nice!!! i will also copy this string for future
reference:)

Best Wishes
Raghav

raghav said:
[...]