Reia: goings on of a Ruby-like language for Erlang

Tony Arcieri

I'm the creator of a Ruby-like language for Erlang called Reia:

http://reia-lang.org/

I was asked about it quite a bit at RubyConf. Erlang has a certain degree
of popularity in the Ruby community, which I can only gather because Dave
Thomas and the Pragmatic Programmers are responsible for a lot of the
initial buzz surrounding both languages, and because the things Ruby and
Erlang are good at are very different. Because of this, they're great when
used in conjunction. You may have heard of Erlang through EngineYard's
Vertebra and Nanite projects, or through Mojombo's projects such as BERT and
Ernie.

Reia provides an alternate syntax to Erlang which is a lot like Ruby and
hopefully not immediately hostile to potential users of the Erlang platform
in the way Erlang's traditional Prolog-like syntax happens to be. Reia also
provides (or rather, will provide) a concurrent approach to object oriented
programming based on the underlying concurrency primitives provided by
Erlang.

I recently blogged about the state of Reia, if you are curious about what's
going on with the project and where it's headed:

http://www.unlimitednovelty.com/2009/11/new-reia-now-without-rainbow-farting.html