Reinitialize a dll

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Morten Snedker, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. A few days ago I posted the below as result of the kind reply from
    Bruce. I still need an answer on:

    Thanks a bunch for your reply!

    What does it mean for dll to support a "reinit". How is this defined?

    Regards /Snedker

    bruce barker skrev:
    > a recycle only unloads the appdomain, it does not restart the worker

    processes. this means unmanaged dlls are not unloaded. when it reloads
    the dll are reloaded, if your 3rd party dll don't support a reinit then
    they will not work.

    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >
    > Morten Snedker wrote:
    >> I'm not sure if this is the right group, but:
    >>
    >> When the IIS performs a recycle on an given Application Pool, the

    website on this pool seems to loose references to third-party DLL-files
    in the bin-folder.

    Morten Snedker, Oct 19, 2007

  2. What he meant was that unmanaged (non-.NET) dlls are *not* in the AppDomain
    to get unloaded it only holds managed assemblies.
    Does that help?

    --Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Morten Snedker

    Guest

    Nah, not really.

    The third party dll is a .net dll and should be a part of the
    AppDomain. But after the IIS performs a recycle every night, these
    third-party dll's aren't accessable. Disabling the recycle works - but
    that's not at long term solution.

    Thanks for your reply.

    /Snedker

    On 19 Okt., 19:36, Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]
    <> wrote:
    > What he meant was that unmanaged (non-.NET) dlls are *not* in the AppDomain
    > to get unloaded it only holds managed assemblies.
    > Does that help?
    , Oct 19, 2007