    Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
    reopened?
    (sorry for my english).
    JCD, Aug 3, 2008

  2. JCD

    Dave Miller Guest

    JCD wrote:
    > Hello.
    > I have a problem with an applet:
    > http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/page8.html
    > The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.
    > But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
    > and I come back, it crashes.
    > There is no error message in the stacktrace. I tried to destroy the
    > applet (destroy method) in the stop method but it doesn't work.
    > Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
    > reopened?
    > (sorry for my english).

    I'm not getting any error using JDK 1.6 within FF 3 on a Windows XP
    machine. You might want to see if you can replicate the problem on a
    computer other than the one that is experiencing the crashes. (The
    problem may be machine specific.)

    As part of the construct of applet, the browser will automatically stop
    the applet went the user leaves the page and start it back up when the
    user returns. destroy() is the method passed by the browser to the
    applet to kill the instance. None of those methods are (generally)
    called by the applet itself, to the extent that you have a problem it is
    in some other area.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:
    Dave Miller, Aug 4, 2008

  3. On Aug 4, 1:19 am, JCD <> wrote:
    > Hello.
    > I have a problem with an applet: http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/page8.html
    > The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.

    As Dave pointed out with his 'null' result in FF3,
    it is important to consider browser (make and version)
    as well as Java (make and version) when considering
    applet problems.

    (Applets are a PITA)

    When I test that page using IE6 and Java 1.6.0_05,
    navigate to another page then back, the graphics of
    the applet are 'all screwed up' with artifacts of other
    parts of pages represented in the applet area.

    I am not sure if it crashes, since I could not understand
    what it was supposed to do in the first place. Clicking
    the buttons etc. tends to clear up the display.

    *Note that this problem could not happen if you launch
    the applet using webstart.*

    > But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
    > and I come back, it crashes.
    > There is no error message in the stacktrace.

    I saw no stacktraces at all. Suspiciously, all I saw
    was..

    [console OP]
    0-5: set trace level to <n>

    méthode stop
    méthode stop
    [/console OP]

    Did you have debugging messages attached to start()/init()
    etc? Some browsers have been known to ignore calls to
    methods like stop()/destroy(), but I had never heard that
    applied to start()/init().

    >...I tried to destroy the
    > applet (destroy method)  in the stop method but it doesn't work.
    > Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
    > reopened?

    The easiest solution is webstart, though I suspect
    that applet has bugs.

    > (sorry for my english).

    (muses)
    Why is it invariably the people who could 'pass for
    pommie' that apologize for their use of English?
    (/muses)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 4, 2008
  4. JCD

    JCD Guest

    On 3 août, 23:33, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 1:19=A0am, JCD <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.
    > > I have a problem with an applet:http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/=

    > page8.html
    > > The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.

    > As Ivan pointed out with his 'null' result in FF3,
    > it is immense to bark chorale (make and depth)
    > as well as Java (make and innovation) when squeezing
    > plate workgroups.
    >
    > (Applets are a PITA)
    >
    > When I test that page vandalizing IE6 and Java 1.6.0_05,
    > navigate to another page then back, the graphics of
    > the body are 'all screwed up' with faqs of other
    > religions of pages criticized in the leather area.
    >
    > I am not truthless if it crashes, since I could not understand
    > what it was alianated to do in the first place. Clicking
    > the buttons etc. tends to glad up the display.
    >
    > *Note that this belief could not preclude if you launch
    > the headline discovering webstart.*
    >
    > > But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
    > > and I come back, it crashes.
    > > There is no error message in the stacktrace.

    > I saw no stacktraces at all. Suspiciously, all I saw
    > was..
    >
    > [console OP]
    > =2E..
    > 0-5: set trace subsistence to <n>
    >
    > m=E9thode stop
    > m=E9thode stop
    > [/console OP]
    >
    > Did you have debugging instructions attached to start()/misfire()
    > etc? Some distresses have been known to intend calls to
    > tantrums like stop()/disavow(), but I had nevertheless heard that
    > applied to start()/inject().
    >
    > >...I tried to swindle the
    > > applet (destroy method) =A0in the stop method but it doesn't work.
    > > Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
    > > reopened?

    > The easiest wedding is webstart, though I invite
    > that humidifier has bugs.
    >
    > > (sorry for my english).

    > (muses)
    > Why is it invariably the children who could 'pass for
    > pommie' that negotiate for their indicate of Funny?
    > (/muses)
    >
    > --
    > Cyrus Waterhousehttp://tail.org/

    > "I would have to ask the questioner.
    > I haven't had a chance to ask the questioners
    > the question they've been questioning.
    >
    > On the other hand,
    > I firmly believe she'll be a fine secretary of labor.
    >
    > And I've got confidence in Linda Chavez.
    > She is a -- she'll bring an interesting perspective
    > to the Labor Department."
    >
    > --- Adolph Bush,
    >     Austin, Texas, Jan. 8, 2001

    Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
    ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr
    JCD, Aug 4, 2008
  5. On Aug 4, 7:26 pm, JCD <> wrote:
    > Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
    > ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

    Two requests.
    1) Do not reply to my impersonator.
    2) Do not play silly buggers with posting in a
    non-Enlish language, when you are obviously fluent
    in English.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 4, 2008
  6. JCD

    JCD Guest

    On 4 août, 15:58, Lew <> wrote:
    > JCD wrote:
    > > Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
    > > ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

    > That's not even proper French.
    >
    > You do realize that the post to which you responded did not come from Andrew,
    > do you not?
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Ok. I didn't notice the color of the name is different.
    My message "in french" was intended for the second "Andrew
    thompson" :)
    Anyway, I've solved my problem:
    In the stop method, I wrote: this.removeAll() and in the start method,
    I created again all the Panels that I added to the applet and it seems
    to work...
    bye
    JCD, Aug 4, 2008
  7. On Aug 5, 2:18 am, JCD <> wrote:

    > ...I've solved my problem:
    > In the stop method, I wrote: this.removeAll() and in the start method,
    > I created again all the Panels that I added to the applet and it seems
    > to work...

    Congrats! Just tried the applet in FF3 and IE6 and
    it rendered reliably on page-change-return for both.

    (You ..have uploaded the new applet, right?)

    > ...My message "in french" was intended for the second "Andrew
    > thompson" :)

    The impersonator seems to have fooled a number
    of folks recently.

    Is the message too dirty/foul to translate to
    English? You made me curious, now. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 4, 2008
  8. On 04/08/2008 15:58, Lew allegedly wrote:
    > JCD wrote:
    >> Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
    >> ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

    > That's not even proper French.

    .... but that is, alas!, the kind of illiterate "French" they use over
    the Internet. It's shameful, debasing and disgusting, and wrong in every
    way. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to admonish the well-deserved
    kicking via TCP/IP.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 4, 2008
  9. On 05/08/2008 02:56, Lew allegedly wrote:
    > Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's not even proper French.

    >> .... but that is, alas!, the kind of illiterate "French" they use over
    >> the Internet. It's shameful, debasing and disgusting, and wrong in every
    >> way. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to admonish the well-deserved
    >> kicking via TCP/IP.

    > How do you say "L33TSPEEK" in French?

    **** if I know. Isn't it mainly censorship/prosecution that sparked off
    the "l33t" orthography in the first place? At any rate, I'd say it's a
    phenomenon that evolved as the whole thing (the net) evolved. Which it
    did, at least the one which came to dominate, in the Anglo-Saxon world.
    Consequently, I'm not even sure there is any equivalent. Presuming we
    don't count illiteracy as being "elite".

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008
  10. On Aug 5, 12:11 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    wrote:
    > On 05/08/2008 02:56, Lew allegedly wrote:

    > > How do you say "L33TSPEEK" in French?

    > **** if I know. Isn't it mainly censorship/prosecution
    > that sparked off the "l33t" orthography in the first place?

    I suspect as much. My vague recollection is that the
    government legislated that French citizens communicating
    on public forums should use French. Most French youth
    retaliated by sinking to using a corrupted form of French,
    that was as unintelligible to speakers of traditional
    French as to your average Tanu Tuvan (who does not speak
    French).

    I laughed when I heard that, and guessed I would do
    the same with English if any government had the temerity
    to make demands on how or when I use (or abuse) it.

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 5, 2008
  11. Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    > On 04/08/2008 15:58, Lew allegedly wrote:
    >> JCD wrote:
    >>> Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
    >>> ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

    >> That's not even proper French.

    > ... but that is, alas!, the kind of illiterate "French" they use over
    > the Internet.

    I personally considered it closer to the texting version of French.

    My rough translation:
    <Can't quite tell the beginning> have never spoken a language other than
    English and <can't quite make sense of this part> better to let the
    others respond.

    The first untranslatable part ("Encor 1 qu'a") looks to me to be "encore
    je qu'ai" (or maybe "encore une fois qu je'ai..."? Hard to tell.) or
    something similar, which is obviously an idiomatic expression I've never
    seen before. The second part ("qu'es nul i ferai") looks to me to be
    "qu'il est nul" + "je ferai mieux" (or "ferais mieux"), or "that it is
    bad" and "I will be better" (or "I would do better"), but the
    combination is throwing me off.

    Perhaps if I had the non-text-ish version of that paragraph I could
    translate it. Such forms of slang aren't taught in French class...

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Aug 5, 2008
  12. OT: CS philology [WAS: Re: reinitializing an applet]

    On 05/08/2008 04:22, Andrew Thompson allegedly wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 12:11 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 05/08/2008 02:56, Lew allegedly wrote:

    >>> How do you say "L33TSPEEK" in French?

    >> **** if I know. Isn't it mainly censorship/prosecution
    >> that sparked off the "l33t" orthography in the first place?

    > I suspect as much. My vague recollection is that the
    > government legislated that French citizens communicating
    > on public forums should use French. Most French youth
    > retaliated by sinking to using a corrupted form of French,
    > that was as unintelligible to speakers of traditional
    > French as to your average Tanu Tuvan (who does not speak
    > French).

    Firstly, to make it clear: by "censorship/prosecution" I meant something
    along the lines of the purported reprehensibility of "porn" giving rise
    to the orthography "p0rn".

    Secondly, your recollection is erroneous, as far as I can tell --
    although I won't pretend my knowledge of the matter is entirely
    authoritative. I gathered there was indeed, like, ten years ago? some
    French government initiative to enforce the French tongue as opposed to
    the English one -- but that was a) before the days of on-line fora; b)
    not something that targeted private speech, but rather the public
    sphere; and c) it's long gone by now.

    My sentiment, unsettling though it is, is that the root of the problem
    is, really, plain illiteracy. Of course, that doesn't account for the
    whole of the phenomenon (an example of which we witnessed here) directly
    -- but I think it does indirectly, if you see it as an exaggerated form,
    a caricature of the basic uncertainty and uneasiness lack of education
    engenders in writing.

    My experience of this is limited, as I haven't had professional contact
    with Frenchmen for long, but I notice that, even when they write
    properly, most of them make some mistakes here and there. And I'm not
    talking about private correspondence, but people in companies. Spell
    checkers deal with bad orthography I suppose, but not with bad grammar.

    > I laughed when I heard that, and guessed I would do
    > the same with English if any government had the temerity
    > to make demands on how or when I use (or abuse) it.

    "p0rn"? "fsck"? "d*mn"? "c*nt"? "n--ger"?

    "Temerity", eh? Is it any better if it doesn't come from the government,
    but is rather the result of some "social consensus"?

    I recall once signing a forum post with the name of some famous (or
    infamous...) US American president. The forum engine censored the
    forename. I had used the familiar form instead of "Richard"...

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008
  13. Re: OT: CS philology [WAS: Re: reinitializing an applet]

    On Aug 6, 12:00 am, Daniele Futtorovic <>
    wrote:
    ('abuse' language)
    > > I laughed when I heard that, and guessed I would do
    > > the same with English if any government had the temerity
    > > to make demands on how or when I use (or abuse) it.

    > "p0rn"? "fsck"? "d*mn"? "c*nt"? "n--ger"?
    >
    > "Temerity", eh? Is it any better if it doesn't come from the government,
    > but is rather the result of some "social consensus"?

    Well. Governments make laws, whereas the neighbors
    sneer at you. I can pull the blinds, but the government
    can send people to kick down the doors if I do not
    comply (or they perceive as much) with whatever their
    idiot laws are at that moment (and heck, I don't have
    a TV - so often I don't actually know what the 'laws of
    the minute' are).

    I think I'll take the snooty neighbour.

    Unless by 'social consensus' you were less thinking
    of the one pissed neighbor, and instead more the angry
    mob bearing (burning) torches.

    ..I'd have to think about it.

    > I recall once signing a forum post with the name of some famous (or
    > infamous...) US American president. The forum engine censored the
    > forename. I had used the familiar form instead of "Richard"...

    ;)

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 5, 2008
  14. On 05/08/2008 16:29, Lew allegedly wrote:
    > Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    >> "Encore un qui n'a jamais parlé une autre langue que l'Anglais et qui
    >> est nul; il ferait mieux de laisser les autres répondre."

    > C'est interessant, parce que je peux parler une autre langue.
    >
    > Eh bien, il y a toujours des ânes.

    Sou desu ne...

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008
  15. Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    > "Encore un qui n'a jamais parlé une autre langue que l'Anglais et qui
    > est nul; il ferait mieux de laisser les autres répondre."

    Ah, merci! Ça aide considérablement pour ma traduction.

    Mais, en tout cas, je crois qu'Andrew voulait indiquer ce:
    On normalement trouve qu'il est ceux qui doivent apprendre l'anglias
    comme une deuxième langue qui parle Anglais plus clairement que ceux qui
    l'a appris comme une première langue.

    Évidemment, je parle anglias meiux que je parle français.

    > "rewsna srehto eht tel retteb dah eh ;diputs s'ohw dna hsilgnE tub
    > egaugnal yna nekops reve t'nsah ohw rehtona teY"

    Normally, the idea is to ROT-13 the text.

    Translation (not exact, since I change my grammatical structures to fit
    my limited knowledge when I speak in French) (see <http://www.rot13.com>
    if your newsreader doesn't allow you to ROT-13 something):
    Nu, gunaxf! Gung urycf zr pbafvqrenoyl va genafyngvba.

    Ohg, va nal pnfr, V guvax gung jung Naqerj jnf gelvat gb fnl jnf guvf:
    Bar abeznyyl svaqf gung vg vf gubfr sbe jubz Ratyvfu vf gurve frpbaq
    ynathntr jub fcrnx Ratyvfu orggre guna gubfr jub fcrnx vg nf gurve svefg
    ynathntr.

    Boivbhfyl, V fcrnx Ratyvfu orggre guna V fcrnx Serapu.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Aug 5, 2008
  16. Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    > On 05/08/2008 16:29, Lew allegedly wrote:
    >> Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    >>> "Encore un qui n'a jamais parlé une autre langue que l'Anglais et qui
    >>> est nul; il ferait mieux de laisser les autres répondre."

    >> C'est interessant, parce que je peux parler une autre langue.
    >>
    >> Eh bien, il y a toujours des ânes.

    > Sou desu ne...

    Do it right!
    ãã†ã§ã™ã­...

    - クランマ ジョシュワ

    Ok, so it should be vertical and RTL, but horizontal LTR is valid for
    computer systems...

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Aug 5, 2008
  17. JCD

    David Segall Guest

    Daniele Futtorovic <> wrote:

    >I gathered there was indeed, like, ten years ago? some
    >French government initiative to enforce the French tongue as opposed to
    >the English one

    You are probably thinking of the French Academy
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise> which has,
    for the last few hundred years, promoted a single, pure French
    language. It is backed by the French Government but has no enforcement
    powers. They made sure that the word "computer" was translated into an
    approved French word unlike many other Europeans who simply
    incorporated the English word into their language.
    David Segall, Aug 5, 2008
  18. On 05/08/2008 17:54, Joshua Cranmer allegedly wrote:
    > Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    >>>
    >>> C'est interessant, parce que je peux parler une autre langue.
    >>>
    >>> Eh bien, il y a toujours des ânes.

    >> Sou desu ne...

    > Do it right!
    > ãã†ã§ã™ã­...
    >
    > - クランマ ジョシュワ

    :D eh! I haven't found the input method for hiragana out yet, and I
    didn't want to copy and paste. Romaji's good 'nuff methinks.

    Then again...

    --
    ダニエレ 先生 (ãœã‚“ãœã‚“ ã¿ãˆã‚’ã¯ãªã„)
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008
  19. Re: OT: CS philology [WAS: Re: reinitializing an applet]

    On 05/08/2008 17:56, David Segall allegedly wrote:
    > Daniele Futtorovic <> wrote:
    >

    >> I gathered there was indeed, like, ten years ago? some
    >> French government initiative to enforce the French tongue as opposed to
    >> the English one

    > You are probably thinking of the French Academy
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise> (...)

    Nope:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law>.

    I though it had be scrapped though. Apparently not?

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008
  20. On 05/08/2008 17:42, Joshua Cranmer allegedly wrote:
    > Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    >> "Encore un qui n'a jamais parlé une autre langue que l'Anglais et qui
    >> est nul; il ferait mieux de laisser les autres répondre."

    > Ah, merci! Ça aide considérablement pour ma traduction.
    >
    > Mais, en tout cas, je crois qu'Andrew voulait indiquer ce:
    > On normalement trouve qu'il est ceux qui doivent apprendre l'anglias
    > comme une deuxième langue qui parle Anglais plus clairement que ceux qui
    > l'a appris comme une première langue.

    Not too sure about that. It seemed to me as though he was referring to
    the (purported) fact that people who are quite obviously non-native
    English speakers, but who are intelligible, would tend to apologise
    beforehand, rather than those who *aren't* intelligible.

    >> "rewsna srehto eht tel retteb dah eh ;diputs s'ohw dna hsilgnE tub
    >> egaugnal yna nekops reve t'nsah ohw rehtona teY"

    > Normally, the idea is to ROT-13 the text.

    The idea was not to spoil any reward for a potential, personal
    accomplishment. 'N I don't need none of ya fancy gimmicks for that, you
    geek! ;)

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Aug 5, 2008