reject [off-topic] #8473 (comp.lang.c++.moderated)

Alf P. Steinbach

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated
From: (e-mail address removed) (Alf P. Steinbach)
Subject: Re: Needed Tricky Program...

{ At least each of the moderators will have your comments in their
mailbox. There may be some on-topic responses offering some tips
without writing the program. -mod }

Goodie.

But in addition to letting (the original) off-topic question through,
one reply that _only_ presented the non-C++ program was accepted,
in direct contradiction with the reason given above.

That is unacceptable, and since I seem to detect a somewhat arbitrary
moderation policy (two rejects last two weeks on touchy-feely grounds,
some accepted off-topic articles, including the above "Make this program
for me") I'm posting this response also to [comp.lang.c++], in the
honored tradition of [comp.lang.c++.moderated] folks with names starting
with "A" who have been denied expressing their opinions in that group.

Jonathan Turkanis

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated
From: (e-mail address removed) (Alf P. Steinbach)

{ At least each of the moderators will have your comments in their
mailbox. There may be some on-topic responses offering some tips
without writing the program. -mod }

Goodie.

But in addition to letting (the original) off-topic question through,
one reply that _only_ presented the non-C++ program was accepted,
in direct contradiction with the reason given above.

That is unacceptable, and since I seem to detect a somewhat arbitrary
moderation policy (two rejects last two weeks on touchy-feely grounds,
some accepted off-topic articles, including the above "Make this program
for me") I'm posting this response also to [comp.lang.c++], in the
honored tradition of [comp.lang.c++.moderated] folks with names starting
with "A" who have been denied expressing their opinions in that group.

It's inevitable that the moderation policy will be somewhat arbitrary
when there are so many moderators. If anything, the moderation policy
is to liberal. It doesn't make much sense to argue that your post
should have been accepted because the moderators accepted a post which
was just as irrelevant.

BTW, I didn't realize that Argus Stevenson had one of his posts
rejected. At least you're in good company.

Jonathan