rel="next"

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toby Inkster, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    I'm adding some long overdue <link rel="next" /> elements (and prev, etc)
    to my site.

    The code for it has been in my home-made CMS for ages -- I just hadn't
    added the data to the database.

    I am although planning on adding some redundant text links (for those
    browsers too stupid to fully support this feature introduced in HTML 2.0)
    along these lines:

    They will of course point to the same URL.

    I can imagine I'll have a lot of fun with things like:

    a[rel="next"]:after { content: "\21C9"; }
    a[rel="prev"]:before { content: "\21C7"; }

    My question is: will any browsers get confused by having a choice of two
    elements with rel="next"?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./elvis_presley/blue_suede_shoes.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > I'm adding some long overdue <link rel="next" /> elements (and prev,
    > etc) to my site.

    The browser support might now be regarded as non-negligible, so that
    might be of some use.

    > I am although planning on adding some redundant text links (for those
    > browsers too stupid to fully support this feature introduced in HTML
    > 2.0) along these lines:

    Well, is such a link redundant, or is the <link> element redundant then?
    Why aren't Mozilla and Opera clever enough to understand rel="next" in
    <a> elements if they are so bright with <link>? :)

    (To be exact, HTML 2.0 explicitly said: "The semantics of link
    relationships are not specified in this document." Besides, even HTML
    3.2, or HTML 4.0 for that matter, did not normatively define the meanings
    of rel attribute values.)

    > My question is: will any browsers get confused by having a choice of
    > two elements with rel="next"?

    Maybe. But if some browser will be clever enough to understand rel="next"
    in both elements, let's hope it'll be bright enough to recognize them a
    duplicating the same thing.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > I'm adding some long overdue <link rel="next" /> elements (and prev, etc)
    > to my site.

    FWIW, example is here:
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/html-tutorial-1

    It would be handy to know how well the arrows work in different people's
    browsers. This I suppose depends on the browser itself, the OS and which
    fonts they have installed. (I've checked in Lynx 2.8.3 and Opera 7.53 so
    far and all looks good. Further testing later.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./dexter_freebish/a_life_of_saturdays/10_wonderland.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Aug 22, 2004
  4. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:28:27 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > It would be handy to know how well the arrows work in different people's
    > browsers. This I suppose depends on the browser itself, the OS and which
    > fonts they have installed. (I've checked in Lynx 2.8.3 and Opera 7.53 so
    > far and all looks good. Further testing later.)

    The links are fine in Mozilla 1.7.2, but it doesn't apply the CSS. Why?
    I'm not entirely sure.

    Validating the page shows errors:

    <URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftobyinkster.co.uk%2Fhtml-tutorial-1&usermedium=all>

    but they shouldn't have any impact (at least on this scale).

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Michael Winter wrote:

    > The links are fine in Mozilla 1.7.2, but it doesn't apply the CSS. Why?

    Because it is stupid.

    I've looked into this and for no apparent reason it seems to believe that
    some of the CSS files were served with the "text/plain" MIME type (so it
    ignores them), even though they are all really served as "text/css".

    It is possible to correct Mozilla by typing in the URLs of the rogue CSS
    files, hitting reload and then going back to the original page.

    IE 4 and Opera 3.6 have no problems.

    Thus I say that Mozilla is a stupid browser, inferior to IE 4 and Opera
    3.6.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Leif K-Brooks, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Toby Inkster

    tm Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:

    > > FWIW, example is here:
    > > http://tobyinkster.co.uk/html-tutorial-1

    > Nothing to do with the "next" link, but your site's text still overlaps
    > the menu at smaller font sizes:
    >
    > http://ecritters.biz/tobyink.png

    I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that separation is
    spelled "separation".

    tm, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Toby Inkster

    Toby Inkster Guest