relational database or XML-native or hybrid?

Markus Seibold

Dear NG,
I am working on a student project about a mobile tourism information system
and among others I have to answer the question whether to use:
- a relational database
- a XML-native database
- a hybrid (XML atop relational database)

Can anyone please provide me with links and preferably article on this topic
(so that I can cite them in my paper)?

Any help is really appreciated because I need a theory-based answer to the
question when to use which system.

Thanks, Markus

Andy Mackie

Markus Seibold said:
I am working on a student project about a mobile tourism information system
and among others I have to answer the question whether to use:
- a relational database
- a XML-native database
- a hybrid (XML atop relational database)

Can anyone please provide me with links and preferably article on this topic
(so that I can cite them in my paper)?

What answer would you like ?

"XML is all nonsense and relational databases are the answer to everything"
http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/603073.htm

"XML is the answer to life, the universe and everything"
http://www.softwareag.com/tamino/background.htm

"SQL Server likes to swing both ways"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/sql_YukonXMLBestPs.asp

If it's an academic project you are doing, these might be useful references:
XML/DB overview http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm
XML Data Management book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201844524/

Cheers,
Andy Mackie

Rob Tweed

Or how about the best of all worlds - a Native XML Database
environment atop an Object/Relational database? - see
www.mgateway.com

Dear NG,
I am working on a student project about a mobile tourism information system
and among others I have to answer the question whether to use:
- a relational database
- a XML-native database
- a hybrid (XML atop relational database)

Can anyone please provide me with links and preferably article on this topic
(so that I can cite them in my paper)?

Any help is really appreciated because I need a theory-based answer to the
question when to use which system.

Thanks, Markus

---
Rob Tweed
M/Gateway Developments Ltd

Global DOMination with eXtc : http://www.mgateway.tzo.com
---

Christopher Browne

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when "Markus Seibold"
Dear NG,
I am working on a student project about a mobile tourism information system
and among others I have to answer the question whether to use:
- a relational database
- a XML-native database
- a hybrid (XML atop relational database)

Can anyone please provide me with links and preferably article on this topic
(so that I can cite them in my paper)?

Any help is really appreciated because I need a theory-based answer to the
question when to use which system.

The relational model involves formal theory that may be readily
referenced (via works by luminaries such as Codd and Date); XML seldom
involves any use of formal theory at all.

Based on that, one may infer that if "theory-based" answers are
required, then the use of relational databases is the _only_ option
due to the paucity of formal theory associated with the other options.

akmal chaudhri

What answer would you like ?

"XML is all nonsense and relational databases are the answer to everything"
http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/603073.htm

"XML is the answer to life, the universe and everything"
http://www.softwareag.com/tamino/background.htm

"SQL Server likes to swing both ways"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/sql_YukonXMLBestPs.asp

If it's an academic project you are doing, these might be useful references:
XML/DB overview http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm

I agree with Andy. Bourret's site is very good and probably the best place
to start looking for pointers. Another site that could be useful:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmlAndDatabases.html

Andy Dingley

The relational model involves formal theory that may be readily
referenced (via works by luminaries such as Codd and Date); XML seldom
involves any use of formal theory at all.

Or RDF and triple stores, for which there's also considerable
theoretical study.