Relative folder reference in form action property?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Shannon, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Hi, all -- this is a weird question that does not really have to do with javascript, but I used to spend a lot of time
    here, and am hoping someone might be able to help...

    I am trying to automate some information retrieval on a subscription web service I belong to, and have had much luck
    with similar sites using the XMLHTTP com to automatically POST the form data. However, in this case, I can't find the
    submission handler. The line in the form (which can be found at www.imrmls.com) looks like this:

    <form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST" enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>

    the goodform() function is a simple client-side character validator, and does not change or alter the form's ACTION
    property in any way.

    I have never seen a relative ference in a form's action property -- didn't know it could be done. AND, the XMLHTTP POST
    method will not allow a folder reference -- it has to be a specific file.

    Any ideas on how I could find the specific filename for the form submission handler? I have triedalmost every variation
    of a name I can tink of -- all to no avail. I have also looked at other forms on the server, and all refer to a
    subfolder under the "servlet" folder, but with no specific file name. For example, the searcvh page form would have an
    "Action" property of "/servlet/Search"

    I have asked the site developer, but they get sketchy about stuff like this, because theoretically, I could allow anyone
    to access their entire site with just so much as a click of the mouse on my server. I don't want to do that, but it
    would save enormous amounts of time if we didn't have to do all of this manually.

    Thanks so much to anyone who can help. To conservative members, I apologize for a nearly off-topic question, but as a
    long-ago active member of this group, I know that the nature of the question deals closely with what many JS programmers
    deal with daily.

    Thanks again,

    Shannon

    Shannon, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Shannon wrote:

    > Hi, all -- this is a weird question that does not really have to do with
    > javascript, but I used to spend a lot of time here, and am hoping someone
    > might be able to help...
    >
    > I am trying to automate some information retrieval on a subscription web
    > service I belong to, and have had much luck with similar sites using the
    > XMLHTTP com to automatically POST the form data. However, in this case, I
    > can't find the
    > submission handler. The line in the form (which can be found at
    > www.imrmls.com) looks like this:
    >
    > <form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST"
    > enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>
    >
    > the goodform() function is a simple client-side character validator, and
    > does not change or alter the form's ACTION property in any way.
    >
    > I have never seen a relative ference in a form's action property -- didn't
    > know it could be done. AND, the XMLHTTP POST method will not allow a
    > folder reference -- it has to be a specific file.

    I fail to see the problem: surely if you post to servlet/Login, it will be
    processed?

    But is it easy to translate that relative reference to an absolute one:
    just set http://the_url_from_the_html_file_wih_the_form/servlet/Login as the
    url.

    And there is no "filename" or "folder" on the webserver. What happens is
    that /servlet/Login is mapped to a servlet that could be any "file" (a java
    class actually), and this is webserver configuration specific.

    This is how jsp/servlet webservers are configured, it is not like php or asp
    where you post to a specific .php|.asp file.

    --
    mvg,
    Christophe Vanfleteren

    Christophe Vanfleteren, Oct 2, 2003