(relative) import trouble, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Stef Mientki

hello,

I'm running Python 2.5 and want my programs to run at least under
Windows and Linux (preferable also Mac).
So I guess I should always use relative paths.

From most modules I can call a global function,
that should import a dictionary from path deeper than the module itself.
The import is done in the global function.
In that global function, I get the modules path by

SourceFile = sys._getframe(1).f_code.co_filename

now to be sure to succeed the import (at least I was thinking this would
always be successful :-(
I need to
1- add the path of the module to be imported to sys.path
(or do a dot import)
2- keep track of already done imports, to give a reload the next time
(or maybe always do an import followed by an reload ?)

Now what I don't understand is what relative path should I use in 1:
- relative to the main application
- relative to the working directory were I started the application
- relative to the current working directory
- relative to the module that is doing the import
- relative to the module that called the global function

I would be pleased if someone could enlighten me,
because this information is hard to find.

thanks,
Stef Mientki