    Relative to what table will the layer be positioned?

    kind regards
    Stijn
    Stijn Goris, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Stijn Goris

    Kris Guest

    In article <tXFwb.43081$-ops.be>,
    "Stijn Goris" <> wrote:

    > hi all,

    Hello

    > Hi all,

    Yes, tall mountains.

    > When using the relative positioning, relative to what is it positioned?

    Itself. Or, more specifically, the position the element would occupy if
    not relative positioned. The values for top/left/bottom/right indicate
    an offset from that location. The space that the element takes in when
    not positioned is the space that stays in effect while relative
    positioning is applied; this may look like the object is overlayed over
    certain other objects (if offset is in effect) but still causing a
    physical space.

    > Lets say I use a table in a table in a table

    In theory, bad example. In practice, a disaster.

    > and place a layer inside.

    I would have to assume here that you mean a Dreamweaver-produced DIV
    here, CSS applied.

    > Relative to what table will the layer be positioned?

    Relative to the position that the DIV normally occupies without the
    positioning.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Stijn Goris

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Stijn Goris" <> wrote:

    >When using the relative positioning, relative to what is it positioned?

    Relative to where the element would have been if it had not been
    relatively positioned.

    http://dorward.me.uk/www/nested/

    >and place a layer inside.

    What's a layer?
    <layer> was a Netscape 4-ism that no other browser supports.
    In CSS terms the word layer is not precisely defined, it could be any
    positioned element, or any element with a z-index set, or something
    more precise.

    >Relative to what table will the layer be positioned?

    Depends on the precise code used.

    If you use a simple position: relative then the "layer" will not be
    positioned relative to any of the tables, it will be positioned
    relative to where it would have been if the position style had not
    been applied.

    If you use position: absolute then the "layer" will be positioned
    relative to the nearest parent element with position set to something
    other than static (the default) or to the root element if no parent is
    positioned.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Nov 25, 2003