Relative URL Problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by OccasionalFlyer, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. I know this is probably a typo I just can't see, but, I cna't figure
    out why my browser can't find a document on my site. My markup has:
    IBRMarch72011Minutes.pdf">*.pdf [Acrobat]</a>;&nbsp;
    IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx">*.docx [Word]</a></td>

    The .pdf file is found, but the .docx file is not. Yet, if I get
    Filezilla to copy its URL to the clipboard, I get (minus the
    irrelevant stuff up front)
    IBRMinutes/Board_Minutes_March_2011/IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx

    That looks the same as my markup to me. I am referencing both
    documents from a parallel subdirectory, which is why I need to go up a
    level. I don't know why the person before me created a minutes
    directory but then seemingly ignored it and put stuff in the News
    directory but I've just tried to fix this in what I'm adding. If it
    works for the .pdf file, why does it not work for the .docx file?
    I've copied and pasted the URL from Filezilla three times, looking for
    typing mistakes around it each time, but to no avail. The URL that
    presents these links is
    http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBR_News.aspx

    Viewing the page source was unenlightening to me but there must be
    something simple I'm not seeing. Any suggestions please? I feel dumb
    asking this because it really ought to work or I should see the
    problem. Thanks.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Jul 28, 2011

  2. OccasionalFlyer

    Andy Guest

    "OccasionalFlyer" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is probably a typo I just can't see, but, I cna't figure
    > out why my browser can't find a document on my site. My markup has:
    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.pdf">*.pdf [Acrobat]</a>;&nbsp;
    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx">*.docx [Word]</a></td>
    >
    > The .pdf file is found, but the .docx file is not. Yet, if I get
    > Filezilla to copy its URL to the clipboard, I get (minus the
    > irrelevant stuff up front)
    > IBRMinutes/Board_Minutes_March_2011/IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx
    >
    > That looks the same as my markup to me. I am referencing both
    > documents from a parallel subdirectory, which is why I need to go up a
    > level. I don't know why the person before me created a minutes
    > directory but then seemingly ignored it and put stuff in the News
    > directory but I've just tried to fix this in what I'm adding. If it
    > works for the .pdf file, why does it not work for the .docx file?
    > I've copied and pasted the URL from Filezilla three times, looking for
    > typing mistakes around it each time, but to no avail. The URL that
    > presents these links is
    > http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBR_News.aspx
    >
    > Viewing the page source was unenlightening to me but there must be
    > something simple I'm not seeing. Any suggestions please? I feel dumb
    > asking this because it really ought to work or I should see the
    > problem. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    Hi Ken,

    Try saving and linking the word documents as .doc files instead of .docx

    Andy
    Andy, Jul 28, 2011

  3. 28.07.2011 08:37, OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.pdf">*.pdf [Acrobat]</a>;&nbsp;
    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx">*.docx [Word]</a></td>

    (By the way, the explanation "[Acrobat]" is pointless and misleading.
    First, Adobe Acrobat Reader was renamed to Adobe Reader years ago.
    Second, there are many other programs that can read PDF format. Just say
    "(PDF)".)

    > The .pdf file is found, but the .docx file is not. Yet, if I get
    > Filezilla to copy its URL to the clipboard, I get (minus the
    > irrelevant stuff up front)
    > IBRMinutes/Board_Minutes_March_2011/IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx

    The only thing others can see from outside is that the URL
    http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBRMinutes/Board_Minutes_March_2011/IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx
    does not correspond to any resource, according to the server. The server
    sends a 404 response, so this is not a data format error or anything
    like that. If you try to access that URL directly by entering its
    address to a browser's address field, it will probably fail. This means
    that the issue has nothing to do with HTML.

    > I've copied and pasted the URL from Filezilla three times, looking for
    > typing mistakes around it each time, but to no avail.

    It's possible to configure a web server to return a 404 response for a
    URL that ends with .docx. That would be odd, but what else could we
    suggest? In fact, the other .docx URL,
    http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBRNews/IBR BoD minutes Mar 2010 website2.docx
    causes a 404 response, too.

    There's normally little reason to use .docx format on the Web, as .doc
    format (or .rtf format) works more widely. There are some features in
    ..docx that aren't supported in .doc, like the nice new Math editor
    formulas, but I suspect they are not needed in normal minutes.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 28, 2011
  4. OccasionalFlyer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    > I know this is probably a typo I just can't see, but, I cna't figure
    > out why my browser can't find a document on my site. My markup has:
    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.pdf">*.pdf [Acrobat]</a>;&nbsp;
    > IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx">*.docx [Word]</a></td>
    >
    > The .pdf file is found, but the .docx file is not. Yet, if I get
    > Filezilla to copy its URL to the clipboard, I get (minus the
    > irrelevant stuff up front)
    > IBRMinutes/Board_Minutes_March_2011/IBRMarch72011Minutes.docx

    Can't see anything amis - other than it failing to return.

    What do you see in your web-logs when the request is made for the .docx
    file? On the face of it I'm inclined to agree with Jukka that it may be some
    configuration on the web-server (although that would be unusual).

    Got it, I think. Yes, Jukka was on the right track. From the headers I can
    see from your webserver its IIS 6, so take a look at:
    http://jameskovacs.com/2007/10/11/configuring-iis6-to-serve-office-2007-file-formats/

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jul 28, 2011
  5. Brian Cryer wrote:

    > Got it, I think. Yes, Jukka was on the right track. From the headers I
    > can see from your webserver its IIS 6, so take a look at:
    > http://jameskovacs.com/2007/10/11/configuring-iis6-to-serve-office-2007-file-formats/

    I bet you are on to something, but what I cannot understand is why IIS
    doesn't just handle the unknown filetype like Apache as generic
    application/octet-stream?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 28, 2011
  6. OccasionalFlyer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    > Brian Cryer wrote:
    >>
    >> Got it, I think. Yes, Jukka was on the right track. From the headers I
    >> can see from your webserver its IIS 6, so take a look at:
    >> http://jameskovacs.com/2007/10/11/configuring-iis6-to-serve-office-2007-file-formats/
    >>

    > I bet you are on to something, but what I cannot understand is why IIS
    > doesn't just handle the unknown filetype like Apache as generic
    > application/octet-stream?

    I agree entirely, that would seem to be the sensible thing to do. It might
    be interesting to know the rational behind it. I wonder if IIS 7 is any
    different?
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jul 29, 2011
  7. On Jul 29, 1:56 am, "Brian Cryer" <> wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in messagenews:j0sgq1$6pd$...
    >
    > > Brian Cryer wrote:

    > >> Got it, I think. Yes, Jukka was on the right track. From the headers I
    > >> can see from your webserver its IIS 6, so take a look at:
    > >>http://jameskovacs.com/2007/10/11/configuring-iis6-to-serve-office-20....

    > > I bet you are on to something, but what I cannot understand is why IIS
    > > doesn't just handle the unknown filetype like Apache as generic
    > > application/octet-stream?

    > I agree entirely, that would seem to be the sensible thing to do. It might
    > be interesting to know the rational behind it. I wonder if IIS 7 is any
    > different?
    > --
    >  Brian Cryer
    >  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Thanks everyone. Making a .doc file fixed the problem.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Jul 30, 2011
  8. On Jul 29, 1:56 am, "Brian Cryer" <> wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in messagenews:j0sgq1$6pd$...
    >
    > > Brian Cryer wrote:

    > >> Got it, I think. Yes, Jukka was on the right track. From the headers I
    > >> can see from your webserver its IIS 6, so take a look at:
    > >>http://jameskovacs.com/2007/10/11/configuring-iis6-to-serve-office-20....

    > > I bet you are on to something, but what I cannot understand is why IIS
    > > doesn't just handle the unknown filetype like Apache as generic
    > > application/octet-stream?

    > I agree entirely, that would seem to be the sensible thing to do. It might
    > be interesting to know the rational behind it. I wonder if IIS 7 is any
    > different?
    > --
    >  Brian Cryer
    >  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    I don't understand why my response to this isn't showing up but in any
    case, thanks everyone. Changing the file type to .doc worked fine.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Jul 31, 2011