release / debug question

dee

Hi
I'm about to upload my site and I have switched to release version. Is that
enough or do I still need to disable
<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />
the debug="true" in the .pdb file?
Is the .pdb necessary for the release version?
Thanks a bunch.
Dara

Juan T. Llibre

If you compiled as Release, the pdb's are not needed.

1. Don't upload the pdb's.
2. Set debug to false in your web.config.

dee

Juan
If I didnt set debug to false would any debug symbol get added to to my
release dll?
In other words setp 2 is still needed for release version?
Thanks

Bruce Barker

there are two compiler involved. vs.nets compile of code behinds, controlled
by pick release or debug. there is also the compile of the aspx pages when
they are first hit, web.config controls they are compiled with debug info or
not (regardless of how the dll are compiled).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
If I didnt set debug to false would any debug symbol get added to to my release dll?

No. Release dll's don't have any debug code.

Debug ( pdb ) files are created by VS.NET.

Debug code is included in the *.pdb files,
which are *only* created in Debug mode, not in Release mode.

Setting debug to false only saves the extra work necessary for
the system to find out that debug *.pdb files aren't available.

dee

thanks

dee said:
Juan
If I didnt set debug to false would any debug symbol get added to to my
release dll?
In other words setp 2 is still needed for release version?
Thanks

Guest

I aggree with your comments
but .pdb file still required for uploading because pdb file contains program
debug information.

Mahesh Prajapati

Scott Allen

I aggree with your comments
but .pdb file still required for uploading because pdb file contains program
debug information.

The pdb files are not required. PDBs contain no code - only symbols to
facilitate debugging and error message information. For instance, the
runtime can use the information in a .pdb file to map the byte offset
in a method into a file name and line number of source code.

Juan T. Llibre

Mahesh, didn't you state that :
I have switched to release version

To that, I answered that :
If you compiled as Release, the pdb's are not needed.
re:
.pdb file still required for uploading

No, it is not, if you compiled a Release version.

re:
pdb file contains program debug information.

Assemblies compiled for Release do *not* use pdb files.