[RELEASE] Python 2.7.4 release candidate 1

Benjamin Peterson

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of 2.7.4.

2.7.4 will be the latest maintenance release in the Python 2.7 series.
It includes hundreds of bugfixes to the core language and standard
library.

There has recently been a lot of discussion about XML-based denial of service
attacks. Specifically, certain XML files can cause XML parsers, including ones
in the Python stdlib, to consume gigabytes of RAM and swamp the CPU. 2.7.4 does
not include any changes in Python XML code to address these issues. Interested
parties should examine the defusedxml package on PyPI:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/defusedxml

2.7.4 release candidate 1 is a testing release. Deploying it in production is
not recommended. However, please download it and test with your libraries and
applications, reporting any bugs you may find.

Assuming no horrible bugs rear their heads, a final release of 2.7.4 will occur
in 2 weeks.

Downloads are at

http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.4/

As always, please report bugs to