[RELEASE] Python 2.7 release candidate 1 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Peterson, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. On behalf of the Python development team, I'm effusive to announce the first
    release candidate of Python 2.7.

    Python 2.7 is scheduled (by Guido and Python-dev) to be the last major version
    in the 2.x series. However, 2.7 will have an extended period of bugfix
    maintenance.

    2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
    module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
    dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1. Other
    features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
    new sysconfig module, and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter. For a more extensive
    list of changes in 2.7, see http://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html or
    Misc/NEWS in the Python distribution.

    To download Python 2.7 visit:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/

    While this is a preview release and is thus not suitable for production use, we
    strongly encourage Python application and library developers to test the release
    with their code and report any bugs they encounter to:

    http://bugs.python.org/

    This helps ensure that those upgrading to Python 2.7 will encounter as few bumps
    as possible.

    2.7 documentation can be found at:

    http://docs.python.org/2.7/

    Enjoy!

    --
    Benjamin Peterson
    Release Manager
    benjamin at python.org
    (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7's contributors)

    Benjamin Peterson, Jun 6, 2010

  2. Just an advice as I see that "old" Python is maintained.
    When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
    with Python 3.x ? If it has a decent implementation on Mac/Linux/Windows of course...
    Thanks,

    franck

    Franck Ditter, Jun 6, 2010

  3. Benjamin Peterson

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Franck Ditter <> wrote:

    >When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
    >with Python 3.x ?

    That depends on the extent to which you rely strictly on the standard
    Python library. If there's any likelihood that you will want to use
    random third-party libraries, you probably want to stick with 2.x; ditto
    if you want to rely on your users having their own copy of Python (in
    which case you probably should target Python 2.4).
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
    start writing it." --Dijkstra

    Aahz, Jun 6, 2010
  4. Benjamin Peterson

    Lie Ryan Guest

    On 06/07/10 00:05, Franck Ditter wrote:
    > Just an advice as I see that "old" Python is maintained.
    > When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
    > with Python 3.x ? If it has a decent implementation on Mac/Linux/Windows of course...

    I say, if you're learning the language and/or programming, python 3 is a
    nicer to start with. However, as of now, not many third party libraries
    has been ported to python 3.x yet; so if you're writing a real
    application and you're expecting to use many third party libraries, then
    stick with python 2.x.

    Lie Ryan, Jun 6, 2010