RELEASED: Pymacs 0.23

François Pinard

Hello to everybody, and Emacs users in the Python community.

Here is Pymacs 0.23! There has been a while, so I advise current Pymacs
users to switch with caution. All reported bugs have been squashed, if
we except one about Emacs quit (C-g) not being obeyed gracefully. A few
suggestions have been postponed, to be pondered later.

The manual is now in reST format, and everything Allout is gone.
Postscript and PDF files are not anymore part of the distribution, you
may find them on the Web site, or use the Makefile if you have needed
tools. Examples have been moved out of the manual into a new contrib/
subdirectory, which also holds a few new contributions. The example of
a Python back-end for Emacs Gnus has been deleted.

Python 1.5.2 compatibility has been dropped; use Python 2.2 or better.
The Pymacs manual explains installation procedure, now simplified. The
pymacs-services script is gone, this should ease installing Pymacs on MS
Windows. There is also a small, still naive validation suite.

The communication protocol has been revised: more clarity, less magic.
Zombie objects are less dreadful by default. The API now supports False
and True constants, and Unicode strings (within limits set by Emacs).

Special thanks to those who helped me at creating or testing this release.

--------------------

Pymacs is a powerful tool which, once started from Emacs, allows
both-way communication between Emacs Lisp and Python. Pymacs aims
Python as an extension language for Emacs rather than the other way
around, and this asymmetry is reflected in some design choices. Within
Emacs Lisp code, one may load and use Python modules. Python functions
may themselves use Emacs services, and handle Emacs Lisp objects kept in
Emacs Lisp space.

The main Pymacs site is `http://pymacs.progiciels-bpi.ca/', and you may
fetch `http://pymacs.progiciels-bpi.ca/archives/Pymacs.tar.gz'.
Report problems and suggestions to `mailto:p[email protected]'.