RELEASED Python 2.3.2 (final)

Anthony Baxter

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (final).

Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems
and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1.

For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for
various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see:

http://www.python.org/2.3.2

Highlights of this new release include:

- A bug in autoconf that broke building on HP/UX systems is fixed.

- A bug in the Python configure script that meant os.fsync() was
never available is fixed.

Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.3) are available
from the Python 2.3 page, at

http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html

Many apologies for the flaws in 2.3.1 release. Hopefully the new
release procedures should stop this happening again.

Enjoy the new release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
(e-mail address removed)
Python 2.3.2 Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

Michael Geary

Anthony said:
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (final).

Cool!

There's a question I don't see answered in the release notes: On Windows,
what's the recommended procedure for upgrading from 2.3 or 2.3.1 to 2.3.2?
Should I uninstall the old version first, or just install the new one right
on top of it? What about other packages like win32all and ctypes? Uninstall
them and reinstall after upgrading Python, or leave them alone?

Thanks!

-Mike

Colin J. Williams

Michael said:
Cool!

There's a question I don't see answered in the release notes: On Windows,
what's the recommended procedure for upgrading from 2.3 or 2.3.1 to 2.3.2?
Should I uninstall the old version first, or just install the new one right
on top of it? What about other packages like win32all and ctypes? Uninstall
them and reinstall after upgrading Python, or leave them alone?

Thanks!

-Mike
I've found it satisfactory to install the new version on top of the old
one. The only problem is that, each time, I have to tell the installer
that I've chosen to install to C:\Program Files\Python23 - the installer
doesn't grab this information from the registry.

Colin W,

Michael Hudson

Michael Geary said:
Cool!

There's a question I don't see answered in the release notes: On Windows,
what's the recommended procedure for upgrading from 2.3 or 2.3.1 to 2.3.2?
Should I uninstall the old version first, or just install the new one right
on top of it?

Pass (Windows? What's that? :)
What about other packages like win32all and ctypes? Uninstall them
and reinstall after upgrading Python, or leave them alone?

In general, there should be binary compatibility between versions
A.B.C and A.B.D, so they *should* be fine. Once again, there may be
some windows specific details that make a difference, but I don't
think so.

Cheers,
mwh

Peter Hansen

Michael said:
Cool!

There's a question I don't see answered in the release notes: On Windows,
what's the recommended procedure for upgrading from 2.3 or 2.3.1 to 2.3.2?
Should I uninstall the old version first, or just install the new one right
on top of it? What about other packages like win32all and ctypes? Uninstall
them and reinstall after upgrading Python, or leave them alone?

Try it and let us know :). But to reassure you somewhat: the various
extensions will generally install themselves quietly under lib/site-packages
and even win32all, which tweaks the registry a bit, shouldn't be disturbed
by having a maintenance release installed over top.

Nevertheless, I think the various licenses and such say you're entirely
on your own as far as possible damage to your computer and I'm not
going to provide a better guarantee than that. :)

-Peter