RELEASED: Python 2.3b2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Barry Warsaw, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Barry Warsaw

    Barry Warsaw Guest

    Python 2.3b2 is the second beta release of Python 2.3. There have be a
    slew of fixes since the first beta, and a few new "features". Our goal
    is to have a final Python 2.3 release by early August, so we encourage
    lots of testing for this beta. Highlights since beta 1 include:

    - IDLEfork has been merged in and now replaces the old IDLE.

    - The Windows installer now ships with Tcl/Tk 8.4.3.

    - list.index() has grown optional `start' and `end' arguments.

    - A new C-only API function PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc() which can be
    used to interrupt threads by sending them exceptions.

    - Python programs can enter the interactive prompt at program exit by
    setting the PYTHONINSPECT environment variable.

    - Many new doctest improvements, including the ability to write doctest
    based unit tests.

    - New and improved documentation for writing new types in C that
    participate in cyclic garbage collection.

    There is at least one known bug: we have seen crashes on both Windows
    and Linux with certain interactions between test_logging and
    test_bsddb3. We intend to fix this for the next release.

    For more highlights, see http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html

    Other new stuff since Python 2.2:

    - Many new and improved library modules, e.g. sets, heapq, datetime,
    textwrap, optparse, logging, bsddb, bz2, tarfile,
    ossaudiodev, and a new random number generator based on the highly
    acclaimed Mersenne Twister algorithm (with a period of 2**19937-1!).

    - New builtin enumerate(): an iterator yielding (index, item) pairs.

    - Extended slices, e.g. "hello"[::-1] returns "olleh".

    - Universal newlines mode for reading files (converts \r, \n and \r\n
    all into \n).

    - Source code encoding declarations. (PEP 263)

    - Import from zip files. (PEP 273 and PEP 302)

    - FutureWarning issued for "unsigned" operations on ints. (PEP 237)

    - Faster list.sort() is now stable.

    - Unicode filenames on Windows.

    - Karatsuba long multiplication (running time O(N**1.58) instead of
    O(N**2)).

    If you have an important Python application, we strongly recommend that
    you try it out with a beta release and report any incompatibilities or
    other problems you may encounter, so that they can be fixed before the
    final release. To report problems, use the SourceForge bug tracker:

    Enjoy,
    -Barry

    Barry Warsaw, Jun 30, 2003