RELEASED Python 2.6 final

Discussion in 'Python' started by Barry Warsaw, Oct 2, 2008.

  1. Barry Warsaw

    Barry Warsaw Guest

    Barry Warsaw, Oct 2, 2008

  2. On Oct 2, 5:46 am, Barry Warsaw <> wrote:

    > On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
    > am happy to announce the release of Python 2.6 final.

    Cool! I have just downloaded the Mac installer and did
    the installation on my Intel MacBook, however it seems I have
    some issue with Tkinter:

    $ python2.6
    Python 2.6 (trunk:66714:66715M, Oct 1 2008, 18:36:04)
    >>> import Tkinter

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 39, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
    for Tk
    ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so, 2): Library not loaded: /
    Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl
    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl: mach-o,
    but wrong architecture
    /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl: mach-o,
    but wrong architecture

    Any hints?
    Michele Simionato, Oct 2, 2008

  3. Barry Warsaw

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Barry Warsaw

    nneonneo Guest

    nneonneo, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Barry Warsaw

    Guest

    nneonneo> Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
    nneonneo> installer link
    nneonneo> (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi) is
    nneonneo> presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows
    nneonneo> version).

    We are aware of it. Because of the timing of the release the person who
    normally creates the Windows binaries was already asleep. They should be up
    a bit later today.

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
    , Oct 2, 2008
  6. On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM, <> wrote:

    > nneonneo> Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
    > nneonneo> installer link
    > nneonneo> (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi) is
    > nneonneo> presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows
    > nneonneo> version).
    >
    > We are aware of it. Because of the timing of the release the person who
    > normally creates the Windows binaries was already asleep. They should be up
    > a bit later today.

    Surely you're joking!
    Everybody knows that python developers never sleep :)
    Congratulations for the final release!

    Francesco
    Francesco Guerrieri, Oct 2, 2008
  7. Barry Warsaw

    olive Guest

    > Surely you're joking!
    > Everybody knows that python developers never sleep :)

    Wrong! All my collegues are Java developers and I'm the only one who
    sleep (and like a log).

    Congratulations, by the way.

    Olivier.
    olive, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Barry Warsaw

    konstantin Guest

    On Oct 2, 7:46 am, Barry Warsaw <> wrote:

    Congratulations!

    Konstantin
    konstantin, Oct 2, 2008
  9. Barry Warsaw

    Terry Reedy Guest

    nneonneo wrote:
    > Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
    > installer link (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi)
    > is presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows version).
    >
    > While I'm at it, I might also point out that http://www.python.org/download/windows/
    > is quite out-of-date. I don't really think it is worth promoting
    > version 1.5.2 of Python (even if it is Python CE) if Python 3.0 is
    > about to come out...
    > --

    From another page:
    "If you wish to report a bug or to suggest an enhancement for the
    python.org website, please send an e-mail message to <webmaster at
    python dot org>.

    If you're reporting a problem (a broken link, typo, formatting glitch),
    please include the URL of the affected page. You can copy-and-paste the
    URL from the location field of your browser. "

    That said, the page begins with
    "For many years, Python releases have included an excellent Windows
    installer. See the individual releases for details."
    whereas the rest is historical info for various platforms.
    If 1.5.2 is the latest available for NT on Dec Alpha, why would you want
    to erase the info? If the page is up-to-date, this tell anyone with
    such a machine to not bother looking for anything newer.

    If you are aware of anything out of date in the sense of having been
    superceded, do write the webmaster.

    tjr
    Terry Reedy, Oct 3, 2008